Does XP Home Edition support Dual Core Cpu's

I understand that Home does not support dual processors, but does it support
dual core cpu's?
If you know the answer and can back it up through research then please post
the link here so I can read the facts. I have been attempting to research
this issue for two days now and have received conflicting answers from forum
users.
Thank You
--
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Teledo, Asus A8N-SLI MOBO, Corsair 1GB 2x512 MB
DDR400 (PC3200), Hitachi 80GB SATAII, Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, Enermax

Well...

I broke down and called MS technical support and they told me that Home does
support Dual Core Cpu's. I am hoping that they are correct. I wonder if I
buy Home edition and it doesn't support it, if I can send it back for a
refund. What do you think.
--

"Jesse" wrote:

> I understand that Home does not support dual processors, but does it support
> dual core cpu's?
> If you know the answer and can back it up through research then please post
> the link here so I can read the facts. I have been attempting to research
> this issue for two days now and have received conflicting answers from forum
> users.
> Thank You
> --
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Teledo, Asus A8N-SLI MOBO, Corsair 1GB 2x512 MB
> DDR400 (PC3200), Hitachi 80GB SATAII, Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, Enermax
> Noisetaker 600W PSU, eVGA 256 Geforce 6800GT 256MB SLI

Jesse;
If you buy Windows XP Home retail in North America, Microsoft will take it
back within 30 days if the retailer will not:
http://www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

>I understand that Home does not support dual processors, but does it
>support
> dual core cpu's?

Although MS originally specified that XP Home did not support dual core
processors, they apparently reached an agreement with Intel to at least
provide some level of support under XP Home. When Dell attempted to sell a
friend of mine a dual core processor with XP Home, Dell told him the
original restriction was no longer true.

However, the extent of the support is unclear. Given that the programming
to fully support dual core as a dual processor machine implies significant
lines of code, my guess is that under XP Home, some operating system
processes can be assigned to the second processor, but I doubt that it is as
good as the full support in XP Pro. Just a guess, but as a former OS
programmer it seems unreasonable that the support in both would be equal.

--
..__
(__

Did you happen to mention the cpus in the question to MS tech support?
They may have assumed they were of Intel variety.

"Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well...
>
> I broke down and called MS technical support and they told me that Home
does
> support Dual Core Cpu's. I am hoping that they are correct. I wonder if
> buy Home edition and it doesn't support it, if I can send it back for a
> refund. What do you think.
> --
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Teledo, Asus A8N-SLI MOBO, Corsair 1GB 2x512 MB
> DDR400 (PC3200), Hitachi 80GB SATAII, Thermaltake Armor Full Tower,
Enermax
> Noisetaker 600W PSU
>

> "Jesse" wrote:
>
> > I understand that Home does not support dual processors, but does it
support
> > dual core cpu's?
> > If you know the answer and can back it up through research then please
post
> > the link here so I can read the facts. I have been attempting to
research
> > this issue for two days now and have received conflicting answers from
forum
> > users.
> > Thank You
> > --
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Teledo, Asus A8N-SLI MOBO, Corsair 1GB 2x512 MB
> > DDR400 (PC3200), Hitachi 80GB SATAII, Thermaltake Armor Full Tower,
Enermax
> > Noisetaker 600W PSU, eVGA 256 Geforce 6800GT 256MB SLI

TRENDING THREADS