Zebracakes

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I was running chkdsk on my desktop when the power went out in my house....Now Xp won't boot. i keep getting the "windows didn't start correctly page. All attempts to boot normally/safemode/ ect result in a split second blue screen where i can see chckdsk trying to run, then i get booted back to the same windows won't start screen. Any way to stop this from running? I think i might need to use a recovery disk, but im not sure. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
That will teach you to get a UPS running your pc.

You will have to do a "Repair" install. Boot up with the XP cd, and continue the process past the EULA, F8 screen. DO NOT PRESS R AT THE FIRST INSTANCE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Past the EULA, you will then have the option for XP to repair your existing Windows.

After it's done, you will have to redo all the patches. I would run chkdsk before that, however.

Zebracakes

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I know, i know i have to get one of them, funny thing is last week i was looking at them, and "reasoned" that there was no sense in getting one. Oh well. Now here is the dumb question for the day. XP PRO cd is long gone since I installed it about 2 years ago,(guess i need to order a cd storage rack too) only thing I have is a xp oem HOME edition for a laptop. Could I use this to "try" and get it running, or does the repair re-write windows all together? Thanks

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
As far as I know, home will not do the repair because it won't find a copy of an installed verion of home. If that's the case, you could install home, it should see your existing file structure and create an alternate windows folder; or you could yourself, then run scandisk to repair the Pro install. After that, try booting into Pro to see if it cleared up the problem. If all isn't too mucked up, installing Home ed. will get you a dual-boot scenario. Or you could just slap down less than $100 USD and get another copy of Pro...