Feb 26, 2022
Hi, so after a bit of research I came across with this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZIXq8UFaSg

Where the person mods the bios in order to use TechPowerUp to do the undervolt in the procesor, because by default the undervolt is blocked by the bios.
The process is simple, but here's my question, does this could brick my laptop?
My cpu reaches 92° when I play videogames. Besides, until next month (for some financial issues) I would able to get a thermaltake massive v20 to help the cooling. So for the mean time I would like to see if doing undervolt could bring some good temp changes.

Thanks guys, and sorry for my broken english

"I bought a cooling pad, but I don't use the fan".....so a stack of mini post-it notes under each rear corner would do the same job for? $1?

H series CPUs should be adjustable using Intel XTU. Have you tried that?

I would not recommend this shady level of BIOS manipulation.

Laptops are designed to push performance as thermals allow. Basically living in a constant state of thermal throttling.

Don't forget to undervolt the GPU also.

Feb 26, 2022
"I bought a cooling pad, but I don't use the fan".....so a stack of mini post-it notes under each rear corner would do the same job for? $1?

H series CPUs should be adjustable using Intel XTU. Have you tried that?

I would not recommend this shady level of BIOS manipulation.

Laptops are designed to push performance as thermals allow. Basically living in a constant state of thermal throttling.

Don't forget to undervolt the GPU also.
Was the first thing I tried, but the Intel XTU blocks de cpu core voltage.

rgd1101

Don't
Buh? How does messing with BIOS brick a laptop?

Most BIOS settings in laptops are typically locked down in terms of things that could damage the hardware to the point of failure. I mean maybe if botched up a firmware update or turned off the fans and forgot about it over time, maybe.
the op first post
Where the person mods the bios in order to use TechPowerUp to do the undervolt in the procesor

and off topic. see how many thread about turning on secure boot for win 11 brick their system

the op first post
Where the person mods the bios in order to use TechPowerUp to do the undervolt in the procesor

and off topic. see how many thread about turning on secure boot for win 11 brick their system
The wording then is confusing. What you said before ("messing with bios") can imply that just going into BIOS and tweaking with settings can cause the laptop to be bricked. It's a different story if you're modifying the firmware software itself or uploading an unofficial version.

And secure boot bricking systems? That's news to me. A quick Google search did lead me to a post here, another post on Reddit, and a post on MSI's forums, but from what I could tell, the problem is the video card is having issues with UEFI boot as the system was still responsive in some way (POST code beeps, keyboard still Num lock still working, etc). Also considering that people have been able to fix the problem, I wouldn't call "enabling secure boot will brick your system", because that implies the system is unrecoverable period.

Though then again Wikipedia does define bricking as hard and soft.

rgd1101

Don't
The wording then is confusing. What you said before ("messing with bios") can imply that just going into BIOS and tweaking with settings can cause the laptop to be bricked. It's a different story if you're modifying the firmware software itself or uploading an unofficial version.

And secure boot bricking systems? That's news to me. A quick Google search did lead me to a post here, another post on Reddit, and a post on MSI's forums, but from what I could tell, the problem is the video card is having issues with UEFI boot as the system was still responsive in some way (POST code beeps, keyboard still Num lock still working, etc). Also considering that people have been able to fix the problem, I wouldn't call "enabling secure boot will brick your system", because that implies the system is unrecoverable period.

Though then again Wikipedia does define bricking as hard and soft.
I guess shouldn't assume I just talking to the OP. need to be more specific for some people

maybe you can search the forum on secure boot and help them out

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS