May 23, 2017
Hi, I got a JVC KD-V6, released in 1983, which has Dolby B and C Noise Reduction. I've noticed with playback of Noise reduction, the audio is extremely muffled. I've seen other people have the same issue. Is there a way of fixing it? Thanks in Advance for help...

May 23, 2017
A deck of that vintage likely needs new heads, and positively needs a re-capping.

Frankly, it just isn't worth what it would cost to have it done, and most deck owners aren't up to doing it as a weekend project.

Check eBay to see if there are some refurbished units available at a reasonable price:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=jvc+kd+v6
That's where I got it from. Spent around $100 bucks total. Was probably dumb of me to buy it. But I wouldn't want it to go to waste. I'm no expert on cassette decks, I just don't want to just cut my losses. There are a few problems with it anyway. As far as I know, there's no way to select which tape type you have, and it always thinks that its a metal tape, even though I put a normal type 1 ferric tape in, the digital audio reader doesn't move, probably because on the inside there's some pressure being pressed on the screen, digital peak doesn't work, I think the heads are misaligned, the audio knobs are missing, and including the Dolby noise reduction issue. it's probably not even worth my time.

If it's all original, every scrap of rubber in there is probably hammered, and I seriously doubt that you'd find new replacements for any of it. About the easiest time you'd have of it would be adjusting the head azimuth...not that would compensate for anything else that you're dealing with.

Maybe set it on a shelf and, if you spot another one to cannibalize for bits and pieces?

But, yeah, probably best not to throw good money after bad with this one.