don't buy decoder

G

I cannot believe manufacturers are still making and selling DVD decoders.

Since the early days of P2 many people have been very please with DVD software playback from 300 or 400 Mhz systems and upwards.

I don't see any point for manufacturer to continue producing dedicated MPEG2 decoders.

I highly agree with graphics card having hardware assist decoding or special Video Capture card have that feature, things like this, but not a dedicated decoder card. What a waste of PCI slot, power consumption, and most importantly $$$$$

Best regards
cx5

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to disagree. I have a Hollywood Plus on my Duron 950 and a GeForce2 GTS. It was only $40. I still have two open PCI slots.
I purchased it back when I had a K6-2 but I still like to use it in my new machine. I has S-Video out so I can watch movies on the TV, my video card doesn't. It also has an AC3 output for my Dolby Digital 5.1 reciever.

I like it because I can watch a movies and still play on the computer at the same time. Or more importantly my better-half can watch a movie on the TV while I play on the computer and there is no mixing of sounds or duplication of video on both my screen and the TV.
It doesn't ever have any conflict problems as far as computer resources and the software is very easy to use and set up. Not to mention, I don't have to connect any thing to my SBLive or configure it in any way, its totally separate.
It will be in every computer I have from now on until PCI slots are no longer used in computers.
Just my opinion.

G

I completely agree. I have been using a creative 8x with a dxr3 card for about a year, and running a similar setup as you, and am very pleased. In regards to waisting pci slots, I have a sound card, dxr3, (2) 3com nics, scsi card, and extra usb ports and I have no idea what else I would ever want to but in my box. Any suggestions.

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some people still need those cards, Like me
I'm extremly short on PCI slots, I have an Ati rage pro 2
Thats leaves me with 3 Slots , Voodoo 2 , 2 slots ,
Tv tuner ,1 slot .. Old sb16 card Isa os no prob here
33.6 modem no more ISA.

I got k6-2 450 and dont think it will run DVD alone without a decoder...

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>