Doublemyspeed.com or Cyber Defender?

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Have any of you used/heard of doublemyspeed.com or Cyber Defender? I saw it advertised. and I had an old comp so I was like "what the heck" and it seems to have found "840 errors" and I looked through the errors and they seem legit, but i'm still a little skepticle. So should I up the 15$ for this. Or has some one else out there tried it and has an opinion?

(I posted this in the antivirus/security area of the forum, but it hasn't had one view. so I thought i'd try here. Thanks!)

I wouldn't pay squat for either of those. Cyber defender sounds familiar, but I've never heard of the first one. A lot of garbage antivirus programs will find 'ghost' infections to make it look like they are cleaning your PC.

Boot into safe mode with networking (f8 on startup). Download (free version), install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan. This is one of the top programs and it's FREE.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
When malwarebytes is done, restart. Download and install Avira. Go back into safe mode with networking. Update it and do a full system scan to confirm there aren't any more infections. This program has live updating and is also FREE.
http://www.free-av.de/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
i absolutely agree with aford. I wouldn't trust those softwares one bit. Do exactly as aford say, boot into safe mode and run a bunch of scans. Personally, these are the scans I would run:

1. anti virus scan with AVG (free)
2. adware scan with Ad-Aware (free)
3. Registry scanner with CCleaner (free)
4. HDD defrag

Dewm

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Actually I have Kaspersky 2009 full version. And I do, do proper virus clean up. But this is more of a registry cleaner.

wand94nard

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I say Cyberdefender. When I was looking for protection for my computer, I tried PC Tools first. It found some stuff, and thought it was OK, but still had browser and word problems. So I tried Cyberdefender, and it found even more stuff. Afterwards my system worked ok. Cyberdefender rocks!!

I like that it looks for trojans, malware and sypware - not just viruses. I liked it enough, that I paid for the upgrade, cuz I wanted the back-up, and the ability to contact someone at Cyberdefender who will answer any of my (or my sons) questions.

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
if you run the test we listed above, you'll achieve the same. the anti-virus will scan for most malicious components (incl viruses and trojans) and the anti-spyware scans for spyware and malware.

i'm not questioning the reliability of Cyberdefender. I just feel, why pay for something when not only could you do it absolutely free, but also learn in the process.

al rogers

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I plan to do the scan testing you recommended,I have downloaded the two free programs, however I would like to know what you mean by "Networking" I know how to Boot into Safe Mode on Start Up (F8)
Thanks very much for providing this technical information.

Al Rogers

If you know how to access the safe mode menu, there is another option called 'safe mode with networking'. You simply arrow down to that option, and hit enter. The difference is, it loads network services in addition to the minimal safe mode services. This will allow you to access the internet to download the scanners, as well as update them.

carita1959

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Doublemyspeed.com is the registry cleaner for the product Cyberdefender.

DoubleMySpeed is not malware or a scam.

registrycleanertechnology.com did a complete review and found the it was good software for non-technical users.

I bought the product and felt that it did what it was supposed to do, and although it doesn't equal it's name in performance it made my system a little more responsive and stable.

mtmontgom

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Michael:
February 3, 2011 at 5:16 am
Beware of double my speed cyber defender. I am so sorry I got involved with these people. I heard the ad on the radio, then checked out the website. They promised to speed my computer for $39.95. I thought this was too much and tried to sign off. They immediately came back with an offer of $19.95 which I accepted with my credit card. They they checked my computer and said I had so many errors they would have to clean it overnight for $187 to over $300. This began to feel like a scam to me so I said i wanted my money back. They sent me a bunch of B.S. customer service emails which said nothing and did not address my concerns. I am zero percent satisfied and I am writing to the Better Business Bureau, my state Attorney General and the FTC. I am not consulting with a class action lawyer as I realize I am not the only person taken by these people. Notice online where other people have complained and the company just writes polite, pat-on-the-head letters full of words that do nothing to solve the problem presented. Beware.

TRENDING THREADS