tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Below you can see my internet speed. However, when I try to download anything from any site or platform, it always caps out at around 1 mbps, sometimes a bit lower, sometimes a bit higher. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

8972441323.png

Solution
So they provide me with 8 megabits guaranteed down/upload speed. As far as I can tell from this thread (which have been very helpful so far) it translates into 1 megaBYTE per second download speed, right? However about 3 months ago I had a package that guaranteed me 4 megabits up/download speed. Yet at that time the download rate was still 1 megaBYTE per second. What I'm saying is that the download speed is largely unchanged while according to the package it should be doubled.

There was a problem with your old package because right now you have the speed you should have with 8 megabits. 3 months ago your speed was supposed to be half of 1 megabyte per second. It's not supposed to be double now because you already had the speed...
Be very careful to ensure you have your units correct. Speedtest reports rates in BITS. Most download software reports rates in BYTES. It is almost exactly the 8 to 1 number you are seeing. Downloads also are a bit lower because they only look at the actual data and ignore the overhead in the data packets used to transfer the data where speedtest includes all the data and overhead.

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
The problem is that around a year ago the speed was exactly half of the results I uploaded now. The download speed was still 1 mbps back then, and even now that the speed is doubled the download speed is unchanged.

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
How is that possible? 5 megabytes per second is 40Mbps. That's 5 time what you posted up there as your speed test.

Can we please know what is your REAL internet connection speed from your ISP?
I am confused. Then how is it possible that if I had 4 megabits as a download speed yet I was still downloading 1 megabyte per second?

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
So they provide me with 8 megabits guaranteed down/upload speed. As far as I can tell from this thread (which have been very helpful so far) it translates into 1 megaBYTE per second download speed, right? However about 3 months ago I had a package that guaranteed me 4 megabits up/download speed. Yet at that time the download rate was still 1 megaBYTE per second. What I'm saying is that the download speed is largely unchanged while according to the package it should be doubled.

There was a problem with your old package because right now you have the speed you should have with 8 megabits. 3 months ago your speed was supposed to be half of 1 megabyte per second. It's not supposed to be double now because you already had the speed of 8 megabits 3 months ago. Someone at your ISP forgot to press a button or something 3 months ago. :)

Solution