[SOLVED] Download speeds drastically different on same ethernet between 2 computers

Sep 8, 2021
This problem is very simple. My pc, with a Realtek PCLe 2.5GbE Family Controller network adapter gets an upload speed of 200mbps, while my 2020 macbook pro gets an upload speed of up to 700mbps. They are connected to the exact same ethernet cord for their tests. Any ideas for what could be causing this massive difference? Quick little note. I have Mcafee virus scanner run everyday and have never encountered a malware/virus alert, so that could not be an issue.

Edit #2: an interesting thing I have found is that when I start the test on both computers, the upload shoots up fast to ~300mbs (in like 2 seconds). At almost the same time, my PC will slowly decrease and my macbook will slowly increase. Its as if it reaches 300mbps then chooses to go down to a certain point (pc) or go up to a certain point (macbook)
EDIT #3: I just ran a speed test through my router's online settings, and got 800 upload and download. Not sure if this download speed uses any or my pc's resources or is directly ran through the router only.

Solution
There have been a lot of people reporting strange issues with 2.5g ethernet ports. I would try different drivers and see if any work better. It seems inconsistent which version is best, they seem to fix stuff and then break other stuff.

Also be very sure there is not "gamer" network software or any software that does any form of QoS. These are many times bundled with video cards or motherboards so you may not remember installing them.

I guess the good thing is almost nobody needs huge amounts of upload bandwidth it should not affect your usage even if you do not get it corrected.
There have been a lot of people reporting strange issues with 2.5g ethernet ports. I would try different drivers and see if any work better. It seems inconsistent which version is best, they seem to fix stuff and then break other stuff.

Also be very sure there is not "gamer" network software or any software that does any form of QoS. These are many times bundled with video cards or motherboards so you may not remember installing them.

I guess the good thing is almost nobody needs huge amounts of upload bandwidth it should not affect your usage even if you do not get it corrected.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
This problem is very simple. My pc, with a Realtek PCLe 2.5GbE Family Controller network adapter gets an upload speed of 200mbps, while my 2020 macbook pro gets an upload speed of up to 700mbps. They are connected to the exact same ethernet cord for their tests. Any ideas for what could be causing this massive difference? Quick little note. I have Mcafee virus scanner run everyday and have never encountered a malware/virus alert, so that could not be an issue.

Edit #2: an interesting thing I have found is that when I start the test on both computers, the upload shoots up fast to ~300mbs (in like 2 seconds). At almost the same time, my PC will slowly decrease and my macbook will slowly increase. Its as if it reaches 300mbps then chooses to go down to a certain point (pc) or go up to a certain point (macbook)
EDIT #3: I just ran a speed test through my router's online settings, and got 800 upload and download. Not sure if this download speed uses any or my pc's resources or is directly ran through the router only.
Since this is an upload difference, is is possible that your motherboard (which you didn't identify) came with some "game optimizer" software that will limit your upload speeds to prioritize game traffic. The Asus "Game First" software is one example.

Reactions: SamirD

TRENDING THREADS