[SOLVED] DP to DVI not working but DP to DP working ?

Jul 25, 2021
So, I'm trying to set up three monitors, I bought a cable DP to DVI and tested in my 1050TI and my monitor has VGA and DVI only but when I tried my DP to DVI, it's not detecting in my pc and I thought my cable is broken.......
So, I tried in my brother's PC the DP to DVI and it's working. I tried my PC DP to DP in my brother's monitor and it's working too. I also tried DVI to DVI in my monitor I thought the DVI input is broken but it's also working....
I tried to update the firmware of the GPU but nothing happend..... I also tried changing the inputs of my monitor and nothing happend...... I also tried to update device properties and nothing happend.... I need help.............

Solution
Since it is possible that your GPU, GTX 1050 Ti, isn't powerful enough to run triple-monitor setup.
My GTX1050 can do triple-monitor with 1920x1200@60/DP + 1920x1080@60/DVI-D + 4k60/HDMI. Triple outputs shouldn't be a problem for a 1050Ti.

My guesses would be the following:
1- the cable has active circuitry and the 1050Ti doesn't have enough DP output power to run the converter
2- the 1050Ti does not support passive DVI/HDMI pass-through on its DP port

Both options could explain why the same cable and monitor work on his brother's GPU but not his own.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here's one thing that may be the issue:

The DP -> DVI adapter you bought is passive adapter, transferring only digital input with DVI-D connector.
Your monitor with VGA/DVI accepts only analog signal.

If latter is true, what you need is active adapter for DP -> DVI-I. So that the digital signal from your GPU is converted within the adapter to analog signal, which your monitor can read.

All-in-all, there are 3 DVI connectors out there:
  • DVI-I - can transmit both, digital and analog signal
  • DVI-D - can transmit only digital signal
  • DVI-A - can transmit only analog signal

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

Jul 25, 2021
Here's one thing that may be the issue:

The DP -> DVI adapter you bought is passive adapter, transferring only digital input with DVI-D connector.
Your monitor with VGA/DVI accepts only analog signal.

If latter is true, what you need is active adapter for DP -> DVI-I. So that the digital signal from your GPU is converted within the adapter to analog signal, which your monitor can read.

All-in-all, there are 3 DVI connectors out there:
  • DVI-I - can transmit both, digital and analog signal
  • DVI-D - can transmit only digital signal
  • DVI-A - can transmit only analog signal
Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector
Nope, its DVI-D

Jul 25, 2021
How big, in size and resolution wise, the three monitors are? Also, how are the other two connected to your GPU, by what ports?
Since it is possible that your GPU, GTX 1050 Ti, isn't powerful enough to run triple-monitor setup.
But it works when I use Dp to Dp and it actually works with triple monitors 1080p one is DVI to DVI and the other one is HDMI to DVI

Jul 25, 2021
How big, in size and resolution wise, the three monitors are? Also, how are the other two connected to your GPU, by what ports?
I think the GPU doesn't support with DP adapter, that's what I think

Jul 25, 2021
I tried to play genshin impact Medium settings with triple monitor using my brothers monitor, it works fine

InvalidError

Titan
My GTX1050 can do triple-monitor with 1920x1200@60/DP + 1920x1080@60/DVI-D + 4k60/HDMI. Triple outputs shouldn't be a problem for a 1050Ti.

1- the cable has active circuitry and the 1050Ti doesn't have enough DP output power to run the converter

Both options could explain why the same cable and monitor work on his brother's GPU but not his own.

Solution
Jul 25, 2021

so that's why, because my GPU has no 6-pin power cable

InvalidError

Titan
so that's why, because my GPU has no 6-pin power cable
You don't need a 6-pin connector to power a DisplayPort output, my GTX1050 doesn't have 6-pins either. The potential problem with active adapters on DP is that DP officially only provides 3.3V/500mA max. Some GPUs go higher while others don't go that high.

Another possible issue is that HDMI calls for 5V EDID power while DP only provides 3.3V. If the cable is passive, then it is possible that his brother's GPU outputs 3.xxV that is just a little bit higher/cleaner than his 1050Ti.

Hard to say without knowing the exact cable used.

InvalidError

Titan
DP to DVI adapter is unidirectional. It works in one direction only.
If your DP to DVI adapter doesn't work, then probably because it is DVI to DP adapter.
Except OP wrote that the exact same cable/adapter and monitor actually do work with his brother's PC, so the problem shouldn't have anything to do with the cable/adapter being plugged in the wrong as it shouldn't be working with either PC in that case.

InvalidError

Titan
He may have used the adapter in opposite direction on brothers pc
The monitor OP is having issues with only has VGA and DVI inputs, which is why he needs an adapter in the first place. Plugging it in backwards would require a non-existent DP input on the monitor.

I just thought of a third reason why DVI-over-DP might not be working: back in the VGA days where GPU manufacturers detailed the display output architectures of their GPUs so people knew what combination of VGA, DVI, HDMI and other outputs could be used concurrently either independently or mirror mode, there were various limitations on valid combinations based on available output drivers for each given chip. Maybe he has a passive adapter and since he is already using HDMI+DVI for his two other monitors, the GPU doesn't have any leftover legacy pins to route to DP for DP alt-mode (DVI-D) output. It may not even be wired to support alt-modes in the first place.

Jul 25, 2021
You don't need a 6-pin connector to power a DisplayPort output, my GTX1050 doesn't have 6-pins either. The potential problem with active adapters on DP is that DP officially only provides 3.3V/500mA max. Some GPUs go higher while others don't go that high.

Another possible issue is that HDMI calls for 5V EDID power while DP only provides 3.3V. If the cable is passive, then it is possible that his brother's GPU outputs 3.xxV that is just a little bit higher/cleaner than his 1050Ti.

Hard to say without knowing the exact cable used.
this is the site where I bought it
https://shopee.ph/Vention-DisplayPo...-Monitor-Projector-HDTV-i.95237083.6337655104