Apr 21, 2020
Hello!

I built a system based on the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard, Intel i9-9900, and 64GB G.Skill memory.
For 5 months the system functioned great. About 2 weeks ago it became unstable, and unable to run in Normal mode, primarily with the dreaded WHEA_UNCONTROLLABLE_ERROR. It runs stable enough in Safe Mode, but after a week it crashed with the DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. That was the only time it threw that error.

What I Have Done So Far:

1. Tried to run repair: It crashes with the WHEA error even when booting from a USB drive.
  2. Removed all peripherals: no change
  3. Updated to current BIOS: no change
  4. Run with each memory stick by itself: no change
  5. Ran Prime95 for 12 hours: no problems found
  6. Ran Intel’s CPU diagnostic tool: no problems found.
  7. Ran a myriad of MS solutions listed to solve the WHEA error
  8. Spent 4 hours on the phone with MS support: no change
  9. Spent 30 minutes with Gigabyte
  10. Tried clean install on clean SSD M.2, crashes with WHEA error before installation begins.

I would appreciate anyone’s insight int this... Do I have a defective CPU, motherboard, or am I missing something else? There is a Seagate 16TB data drive in there as well...

Solution
What else is in PC?
if you have a GPU, try running without it and see if it makes any difference. The less running at time, makes it easier to identify what isn't to blame.

WHEA errors can be any hardware
Have you tried running a Ubuntu LIve USB on it - we know its hardware but maybe you can run other tests while in ubuntu (it is less stressing than windows can be)

Colif

Win 11 Master
What else is in PC?
if you have a GPU, try running without it and see if it makes any difference. The less running at time, makes it easier to identify what isn't to blame.

Have you tried running a Ubuntu LIve USB on it - we know its hardware but maybe you can run other tests while in ubuntu (it is less stressing than windows can be)

Solution
Apr 21, 2020
What else is in PC?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it can be long journey like trying to find "that ticking sound" in an otherwise quietly running car. I removed everything form the board except the memory. I decided it must be the CPU, in spite of the fact that it passed the Intel CPU diagnostics tool. Got a new i9-9900k yesterday and it is working great again.

Cheers,
Cameron

Reactions: Colif