[SOLVED] DRAM vs DSRAM + which should I buy for my pc-build

Aug 30, 2021
Hi guys,

1) I'm pretty new on this website and also this is my first time building my own PC. I came across the terms DRAM and DSRAM while deciding which RAM I should buy.
I would appreciate it if someone can tell me the difference between these two terms.

2) I would also want to ask advice for which RAM I should buy for my pc-build.
See this link for a list of the components I already bought for my pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/musiboyy/saved/HmWkJx

Only the case is missing on that list, the link for the case is: https://www.megekko.nl/product/2013...-O11-Dynamic-Zwart-Midi-Tower-Behuizing?s_o=2

I definitely want a 16GB RAM (2×8GB) of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, however I see a lot of different versions and do not know which one I should buy.
I am hesitating between the following two versions:

Which one would you guys recommend me?

3) Lastly, for example with the 3600 CL 18 versions there are like 3 different types and I do not understand the difference.
You have these three options: CMW16GX4M2C3600C18, CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 and CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18.

Could anyone tell me what the differences are?

Thank you very much in advance for reading my long story!

Kind regards,

Musi

Solution
Hey there,

So, here are some answers.

1. There is no DSRAM. The term is DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory). You must be mistaken. It could be a typo on the web contents, There was SDRAM, which is going back a long time. Maybe 10-20 years.

2. The first set of DIMMS: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory , will be the best. It's CL16 versus CL18. CL16 is faster.

3. Answer to number 2 means, don't worry about number 3 :) The differences are often due to slightly different timings which are set on the DIMMs themselves. The difference in performance if at the same CL rating is negligible.
Hey there,

1. There is no DSRAM. The term is DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory). You must be mistaken. It could be a typo on the web contents, There was SDRAM, which is going back a long time. Maybe 10-20 years.

2. The first set of DIMMS: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory , will be the best. It's CL16 versus CL18. CL16 is faster.

3. Answer to number 2 means, don't worry about number 3 :) The differences are often due to slightly different timings which are set on the DIMMs themselves. The difference in performance if at the same CL rating is negligible.

Solution
Adding to this:
1) I'm pretty new on this website and also this is my first time building my own PC. I came across the terms DRAM and DSRAM while deciding which RAM I should buy.
I would appreciate it if someone can tell me the difference between these two terms.
As mentioned, there's no such thing as DSRAM, but you probably meant SDRAM. These only describe the type of RAM. DRAM means Dynamic Random Access Memory, "dynamic" because the RAM bits have to be periodically recharged or it loses its contents over time regardless if there's power. SDRAM is Synchronous DRAM, in that it takes a clock input to perform its functions.

Not to be confused with SRAM or Static Random Access Memory. "Static" meaning you don't have to periodically recharge the RAM bits.

Note that both lose their contents if power is lost.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aug 30, 2021
Adding to this:

As mentioned, there's no such thing as DSRAM, but you probably meant SDRAM. These only describe the type of RAM. DRAM means Dynamic Random Access Memory, "dynamic" because the RAM bits have to be periodically recharged or it loses its contents over time regardless if there's power. SDRAM is Synchronous DRAM, in that it takes a clock input to perform its functions.

Not to be confused with SRAM or Static Random Access Memory. "Static" meaning you don't have to periodically recharge the RAM bits.

Note that both lose their contents if power is lost.

____
Thank you very much for clearing it for me!! I indeed meant SDRAM

Thank you again!

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Aug 30, 2021
Hey there,

_
Thank you very much for your response!!
I really appreciate it, it's really clear for a newbie like me haha.
And like the other person below your response said, it was indeed SDRAM what I meant and not DSRAM.

One last question though:
I want to buy this one: https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B07D1XCKWW...e=380333&creativeASIN=B07D1XCKWW&linkCode=asn

This should be fine as you suggested right? I just want to double check that I'm buying the right one!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead