Question Dramless or Dram SSD for external storage

Sep 29, 2020
Hi, I'm planning to buy a 2.5 enclosure and put an SSD instead of an HDD in it. I would be using it as just a basic temporary storage, pictures, videos from my phone transferred through OTG for long trips for when my phone storage gets full. Im wondering if it's just fine going with a dramless SSD rather than one with dram for a use case like this. I could get a 480gb dramless ssd for the price of a 250gb ssd with dram which would double my storage for the same price. Thanks!

For mostly large transfers, say, just copying a big folder, or reading a big cluster of pictures from it, a dram ssd would do fine, but at the same time, so will a hard drive.
The dram helps mostly in stuff like random actions, like what a user would do on their OS drive frequently.

Sep 29, 2020
do you mean a dram-less or a dram ssd? What I'm really after with the ssd is the lower power consumption if I use it with OTG adapters for my phone, and I don't have to worry about it bouncing around in my backpack. Will the transfer speed also be slightly faster with an hdd if I use a dram-less ssd? even though it's still going through usb 3.