Question Drastic drop in SSD speed, is this a potential otherboard issue ?

Botulinum

Commendable
May 18, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've been using an Asus VivoBook X510UF notebook for over five years now. Initially, it came with only a 1 TB HDD, but two years ago, I installed a Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2 SATA SSD and migrated Windows and my applications onto it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed significant slowness on my laptop, to the point where even websites took a long time to load in the browser. I decided to format and clean install Windows 10, as it had been over two years since I last did this. However, I noticed that the installation process on my SSD took much longer than before. Even after the installation, the slowness persisted, prompting me to benchmark my SSD using Samsung Magician and Crystal DiskMark.
The results showed a drastic drop in random read and write speeds.

Initially, I suspected a failure with my SSD and considered returning it under warranty. I removed the SSD and reverted to installing Windows on my HDD, only to find it was also significantly slower than before, as confirmed by a benchmark. To further investigate, I tested an external SSD with similar results—slower speeds. I was confused and unsure of what could have caused this.

I decided to recheck everything and reconnected the SSD to the motherboard, reinstalling Windows once more. Surprisingly, this time the process was faster, and everything seemed normal again. Daily benchmarks initially showed no abnormalities, but after 4-5 days, the random read/write speeds dropped again. I continued daily benchmarks over the next few days, with consistent results.

Jun 10, 2022

Jun 14, 2022

Recent results

I eventually replaced the Evo with another SSD and installed Windows on it. The initial benchmarks were as expected, but over subsequent tests, the random speeds dropped similar to those of the Evo. Based on these experiences and test results over the past few weeks, I believe this issue is not related to the SSDs or HDD themselves but likely involves another component, possibly the motherboard. I'm really not sure how to resolve this issue.

If anyone has had similar experiences or insights into fixing this issue, please share them here. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I've been using an Asus VivoBook X510UF notebook for over five years now. Initially, it came with only a 1 TB HDD, but two years ago, I installed a Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB M.2 SATA SSD and migrated Windows and my applications onto it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed significant slowness on my laptop, to the point where even websites took a long time to load in the browser. I decided to format and clean install Windows 10, as it had been over two years since I last did this. However, I noticed that the installation process on my SSD took much longer than before. Even after the installation, the slowness persisted, prompting me to benchmark my SSD using Samsung Magician and Crystal DiskMark.
The results showed a drastic drop in random read and write speeds.

Initially, I suspected a failure with my SSD and considered returning it under warranty. I removed the SSD and reverted to installing Windows on my HDD, only to find it was also significantly slower than before, as confirmed by a benchmark. To further investigate, I tested an external SSD with similar results—slower speeds. I was confused and unsure of what could have caused this.

I decided to recheck everything and reconnected the SSD to the motherboard, reinstalling Windows once more. Surprisingly, this time the process was faster, and everything seemed normal again. Daily benchmarks initially showed no abnormalities, but after 4-5 days, the random read/write speeds dropped again. I continued daily benchmarks over the next few days, with consistent results.

Jun 10, 2022

Jun 14, 2022

Recent results

I eventually replaced the Evo with another SSD and installed Windows on it. The initial benchmarks were as expected, but over subsequent tests, the random speeds dropped similar to those of the Evo. Based on these experiences and test results over the past few weeks, I believe this issue is not related to the SSDs or HDD themselves but likely involves another component, possibly the motherboard. I'm really not sure how to resolve this issue.

If anyone has had similar experiences or insights into fixing this issue, please share them here. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Did you update all drivers too ?