Question Drive not initializing during raid set up

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
I built a new system with a Asus ROG STRIX B550-F. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G. 64GB ram. Set up with existing Windows 10 drive that I cloned from old system.
Everything working great except the drive is a WD Red and slow.
So I put in two Samsung 990 Pro with heatsink 1 TB. Had to install a stand alone sata card to boot to the HD.
Set all the settings in Bios as described at ASUS site for RAID 1 using the two Samsung drives
The Samsung storage not seen by windows.
I used AOMIE partition program and it sees both drive. I set them to GPT partitions.
When I go back into bios Drive 0 of the two NVME drives is active and the drive 1 is not. I try to initalize and it goes through the process but does not initalize .
Some times after going back to AOMIE the drives revert back to MBR.
I loaded all the amd drivers from ASUS for RAID and such.
I cloned the system to drive 1. I would boot but still not see the second NVMe in windows.
I have tried so many things I have lost track.
Right now the drive 1 reverted back to mbr and drive 2 has the cloned system on it.
One thing that looks strange in bios is under nvme it say there is no controller.
I tried to upload a picture of the partition from AOMEI but not working.,
I know I have missed entering needed info so please ask any needed questions.

Thank you

Last edited:

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
I built a new system with a Asus ROG STRIX B550-F. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G. 64GB ram. Set up with existing Windows 10 drive that I cloned from old system.
Everything working great except the drive is a WD Red and slow.
So I put in two Samsung 990 Pro with heatsink 1 TB. Had to install a stand alone sata card to boot to the HD.
Set all the settings in Bios as described at ASUS site for RAID 1 using the two Samsung drives
The Samsung storage not seen by windows.
I used AOMIE partition program and it sees both drive. I set them to GPT partitions.
When I go back into bios Drive 0 of the two NVME drives is active and the drive 1 is not. I try to initalize and it goes through the process but does not initalize .
Some times after going back to AOMIE the drives revert back to MBR.
I loaded all the amd drivers from ASUS for RAID and such.
I cloned the system to drive 1. I would boot but still not see the second NVMe in windows.
I have tried so many things I have lost track.
Right now the drive 1 reverted back to mbr and drive 2 has the cloned system on it.
One thing that looks strange in bios is under nvme it say there is no controler
I know I have missed entering needed info so please ask any needed questions.

Thank you

Why would you think, your board supports NVME raid?
One M.2 port is cpu connected, other is chipset connected.
NVME raid is not supported.

RAID is supported on SATA ports only.
Yes I understand one port is much faster than the other. But both would be faster than the hard drive.
Also the bios clearly says to set Sata to Raid and enable raid on NVME directly under that setting.

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
This motherboard?

1 M.2 port is PCIe 4.0, the other is PCIe 3.0.

Even if you were able to RAID 1 these, you would be restricting the drive performance down to PCIe 3.0.

Why a RAID 1 at all?
What is your actual backup situation?
yes that is my motherboard. I followed the online instructions on setting the bios by setting SATA to RAID then directly under that set NVME raid to enabled along with the settings needed prior to that.
my backup prior to this build was with a probox with 3 WD red 1tb drives set in windows raid. After two failures of two different drives and trying to rebuild the raid with complete failure I do not trust it. I now have critical data files on a trunas server and onedrive and google drive.
My big reason for wanting this raid is for os and program files that I no longer have access to original install disks. If there is a way to separate the programs from the os and have them on a separate drive then i would consider not having a raid on the os drive. And yes they are mine purchased by be but so many of these companies no longer support the on pc programs only cloud based which I do not want. So I need to keep things backed up as may ways as possible.

Last edited:
Read instructions here.

SATA mode doesn't have to be RAID. It can be AHCI.
Then you would not need standalone sata card.

I'm still not sure, if NVME RAID is possible between CPU and chipset connected NVME drives.
You may need to install one of M.2 drives onto PCIE M.2 adapter card.

Last edited:

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
got it working so yes nvme does work with raid 1 on this motherboard. The problem came from the lack of a step on ASUS web site in the set up instructions.
The drives have to be initialized prior to setting up the raid. It may not be as fast as a stand alone on port one but not to shabby.
And yes I am also using backups.
e53tPCc.jpg

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
This use case makes no sense for RAID. You're probably worse off now that you got it working since you're wasting the use of a drive.

RAID doesn't even earn one any geek cred anymore; just the opposite.
I get it no one likes raid any more or sees no reason for it.
But explain to me how replacing a nvme if one bites the dust is not easier than booting from a flash drive that may or may not still be viable after setting up( yes they do fail) and then restoring from a back up that is made up of a raid?
And yes I have both. Three WD 3tb Reds in windows storage space.
And a TrueNas server in other room that also has backup on it.
And critical files mirroring to google drive and one drive

Yes system would be faster with one nvme as boot but I really do not think I could tell the difference.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
But explain to me how replacing a nvme if one bites the dust is not easier than booting from a flash drive that may or may not still be viable after setting up( yes they do fail) and then restoring from a back up that is made up of a raid?

Yes system would be faster with one nvme as boot but I really do not think I could tell the difference.

That's not exactly the question. RAID only protects you from certain types of failures. And most of them more common than an NVMe failing. The solution is proper backups.

Unless you're doing very specific things, such as servers in which every second of downtime costs money or massive large sequential transfers or multi-user access accessing very large files at the same time frequently, RAID is a tool to that gets pretty numbers to a benchmark tool at the cost of additional complexity and risk. And even the boost in pretty numbers is more for HDDs than already very fast NVMes.

Without a very specific use case that justifies it, RAID is the equivalent of drawing a racing stripe on your car with a Sharpie.

USAFRet

Titan

Recovering from a full drive backup, maybe 30-90 minutes, across a gigabit LAN.

Rebuilding a RAID array, about the same. And it WILL need to be rebuilt.

And a physically dead drive is pretty rare.
Of my couple of dozen SSDs over the last decade+, exactly one has physically died.
100% of the 605GB on it recovered from the overnight incremental Image.

The RAID 1 only protects if "one bites the dust".
An actual backup also protects against all the other forms of accidental loss.

And if you have the backup, you probably don't need the RAID.

wmrayt

Reputable
Jul 23, 2019
I understand every one saying back ups are the way to go. So my question is how do you do yours?
I use AOMEI. I made a full backup then set sequential of certain directories to run daily.
I am thinking that this is wrong after re reading the instructions today.
Instead of naming directories should I just choose C drive and let it pic changed files?
As it is I dont think I am getting changed windows files.

USAFRet

Titan
I understand every one saying back ups are the way to go. So my question is how do you do yours?
I use AOMEI. I made a full backup then set sequential of certain directories to run daily.
I am thinking that this is wrong after re reading the instructions today.
Instead of naming directories should I just choose C drive and let it pic changed files?
As it is I dont think I am getting changed windows files.
I do full drive backups, with Macrium Reflect.

A Full Image, then an ongoing series of Incrementals.

If picking certain folders, it is inevitable that something critical will be missed.