Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Hello everyone, I recently replaced a hard drive due to my old one seeming to come "unplugged" every 15 minutes or so, I needed more space anyways so I upgraded and my new drive seems to do the same thing. What I mean by "unplugging" is that it'll seem to disconnect and then reconnect which is very annoying when you're in a game that is on that drive, any help will be greatly appreciated

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone, I recently replaced a hard drive due to my old one seeming to come "unplugged" every 15 minutes or so, I needed more space anyways so I upgraded and my new drive seems to do the same thing. What I mean by "unplugging" is that it'll seem to disconnect and then reconnect which is very annoying when you're in a game that is on that drive, any help will be greatly appreciated
Try a different SATA cable, SATA port on the board and a different power cable/connector off the power supply.

Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Try a different SATA cable, SATA port on the board and a different power cable/connector off the power supply.
I unfortunately only have 4 SATA power cables on this psu due to 2 of them being for rgb and fan stuff but I will try the sata cable suggestions and if that doesn't work I will use another sata power cable also and let you know what happens, also, I dont know the exact specs of the drive, it's an HP, its internal, 7200 rpm, 2TB, thats about all I know, my mother actually ordered it for me

Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv
Hello again, what I did worked for a while but the problem is back, kind of.
What happens now is the drive will be fine for a random amount of time, days, hours, even seconds or minutes, and it'll start disconnecting and reconnecting rapidly, I was told to check CrystalDiskInfo and I will attach a screenshot of the drive in question, this drive is quite new and idk what to do with it anymore, if this means anything, it tends to have the most problems while playing any kind of tasking game like Destiny 2, FFXV, even Space Engineers gives it more issues

View: https://imgur.com/a/kmcxS3L

Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv
That "reallocated sector count" is NOT good (should be 0 at all times). That indicates a potential failing drive, which could very well be the source of your problems.
Alright thank you for letting me know, I must ask though, this drive is just over a month old and has been doing this from like day 10, is that a common thing to arrive DOA? Its over my return period and i didnt get a warranty so ill just go buy another drive

this drive is quite new and idk what to do with it anymore
Ths particular drive has been powered for less than 16 days. So it's unused.
But drive itself is pretty old. Manufactured by Seagate for HP.
Those were manufactured from 2013 to 2016.

BTW 1 relocated sector is not a huge problem.

What make/model PSU are you using? Can you show photo of PSU label?
I'd try disconnecting your RGB stuff. It may be causing unstable power delivery to your HDD.

Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv

I'd try disconnecting your RGB stuff. It may be causing unstable power delivery to your HDD.
Power supply is an Apeva (I think that's how you spell it) 700 Watt

Aug 30, 2020
www.twitch.tv

View: https://imgur.com/a/LXKXUXe

Status
Not open for further replies.