Question Driver issues (no USB drivers), Dimension E520

Sep 8, 2024
Hi, I have a Dell Dimension E520 that is running on XP. I have no USB drivers for it installed on it already. There is no PS/2 ports on it. I installed Puppy Linux on a bootable USB and they work there, confirming it's a driver issue. When I start up the system I get the Found New Hardware wizard but I have no way of clicking on anything at all. I want to keep XP on this system. Is there anyway to install the drivers from Linux, or from the BIOS, or something else?

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
Have you checked Device Manager? If there are any yellow exclamation marks under Universal Serial Bus have you tried updating drivers from there?

Is there anyway to install the drivers from Linux
not from Linux into Windows.
but you can just download them and use them from within Windows.

Windows will always have generic USB drivers available that have always worked in my experience.
are you sure that this isn't just some corrupt XP install failing to properly load drivers/hardware?

you don't mention that you've actually searched and found XP USB drivers for this motherboard.
or if you've contacted manufacturer support requesting them.

I want to keep XP on this system. Is there anyway to install the drivers from Linux, or from the BIOS, or something else?
On a long shot if like you say can boot computer from the live Linux " not installed" and have access to the XP OS you might be able to drop the Dell USB driver into ---Windows---System 32---Drivers

Or ---Windows---System 32---DriverStore---FileRepository

Reboot the PC with out the Linux and see if Windows can sniff out the driver for the USB and install.

Just make sure the USB driver is unzipped and in those places.

Ralston18

Titan
You need to connect a PS/2 device into a USB port - correct?

What is that USB device? Make, model? USB plug?

Try a PS/2 to USB adapter.

PS/2 device -----[PS/2 port] ADAPTER [USB port] -----USB cable ----->[USB port] Dell E520

Perhaps something like this adapter:

PS/2 to USB adapter

Just be sure to double check all plug and port genders.

Sep 8, 2024
not from Linux into Windows.
but you can just download them and use them from within Windows.

Windows will always have generic USB drivers available that have always worked in my experience.
are you sure that this isn't just some corrupt XP install failing to properly load drivers/hardware?

you don't mention that you've actually searched and found XP USB drivers for this motherboard.
or if you've contacted manufacturer support requesting them.
Could be. The main issue is there is a lot of data on here I want to keep.
You need to connect a PS/2 device into a USB port - correct?

What is that USB device? Make, model? USB plug?

Try a PS/2 to USB adapter.

PS/2 device -----[PS/2 port] ADAPTER [USB port] -----USB cable ----->[USB port] Dell E520

Perhaps something like this adapter:

PS/2 to USB adapter

Just be sure to double check all plug and port genders.
USB device, I'm not sure. I know the mobo is a WG864. Also - the adapter - would that require USB drivers?
Have you checked Device Manager? If there are any yellow exclamation marks under Universal Serial Bus have you tried updating drivers from there?
I can't access Device Manager without a mouse and keyboard. I also am unable to boot into safe mode because they don't work as soon as XP starts booting at all.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2024
On a long shot if like you say can boot computer from the live Linux " not installed" and have access to the XP OS you might be able to drop the Dell USB driver into ---Windows---System 32---Drivers

Or ---Windows---System 32---DriverStore---FileRepository

Reboot the PC with out the Linux and see if Windows can sniff out the driver for the USB and install.

Just make sure the USB driver is unzipped and in those places.
I found the drivers. I am wondering how to install these without a mouse and keyboard or from Linux. Note that I do have another Windows system. Would it be possible to unzip these to a folder and drop them into these folders? https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dimension-e520/drivers
These are all .exe files.

I do have another Windows system...
Would it be possible to unzip these to a folder and drop them into these folders?
if you can connect the disk containing XP to the other system, you could.
but, booting with both OS drives installed may prove a problem.

you should be able to boot with Linux and extract the files directly into the XP installation though.
you can access the XP disk from within Linux, correct?

Sep 8, 2024
if you can connect the disk containing XP to the other system, you could.
but, booting with both OS drives installed may prove a problem.

you should be able to boot with Linux and extract the files directly into the XP installation though.
you can access the XP disk from within Linux, correct?
Yes.
I looked at that driver page again and noticed that there was no USB driver.