[SOLVED] Dropped an hdd, now it wont initialize.

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
All is in the title im afraid...
I have recently been building a new pc and today i tried to install an ssd and accidentally pushed with the cables the only hdd in my machine that wasnt secured from the back(had it opened front and back to cable manage) and it dropped from a height of about 40cm on an angle. I had the power off and thought that it might be ok.
Now it doesnt beep or make any weird noise, doesnt show in My computer(which previously did) and when i go to disk management it shows Disk0 Unknown Not Initialized.
I try to initialize it and it shows A device which does not exist was specified.
This was an 1month old hdd which i had picked up specifically for back ups and had quite a few important files in it. Now is there a way to recover the disk and the files? Or do i kiss all of that goodbye?:coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

Solution
If this is just a backup drive, then you still have your original files. The hard drive is likely toast; hard drives do not react well to this kind of damage.

Generally speaking, I'd adhere to at least the 3-2-1 backup rule. All important data should be stored in at least 3 different places, in at least 2 different mediums, with at least 1 off-site. If this broken backup hard drive leaves you with only your originals, I'd do a cloud-based backup of your most crucial files immediately, even before replacing your backup hard drive. I'd be very uneasy to go without backup copies of my most important files even for minutes (some of my most crucial things are stored in five or six places).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If this is just a backup drive, then you still have your original files. The hard drive is likely toast; hard drives do not react well to this kind of damage.

Generally speaking, I'd adhere to at least the 3-2-1 backup rule. All important data should be stored in at least 3 different places, in at least 2 different mediums, with at least 1 off-site. If this broken backup hard drive leaves you with only your originals, I'd do a cloud-based backup of your most crucial files immediately, even before replacing your backup hard drive. I'd be very uneasy to go without backup copies of my most important files even for minutes (some of my most crucial things are stored in five or six places).

Reactions: mundial
Solution

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
The thing is i had formatted the original because it didnt have that good health and was intending to transfer the files there also to have the data in two places. It just so happens that this happened and i had rushed to format the original... Damn it sucks, as I had many important things there and dont really have the $$ required for the proffesional data recovery.:coldsweat:

popatim

Titan
Run recovery from the original.

As for the dead drive, is it spinning up? If it is then the heads may have gotten stuck in the home position. Taking he lid off will aloow you to check this but also voids your warranty and possibly increases your costs of sending it out since it's supposed to be sealed and dust free device. If you can free up the heads then you should have enough time to copy data off them. Do not do this before you have a device to recover to and don't expect to use this drive for very long afterwards. Dust to an hdd head is like a boulder to car, does damage when hit.

If it's not spinning, the google how to check you exact drives TVS diodes.

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Well I tried data recovery on the original disk but not all files were found. The dropped hdd seems to spin fine and doesnt make any weird noises(scratches etc) or beeps. Someone recommended to me to try a live CD method for recovery to see if i can acess the hdd even though windows doesnt recognize it.
Will see how it goes and i'll update you guys. thanks so far for your answers.

@USAFRet Damn that pic on your sig. Hit me so hard... :LOL:

Reactions: NightHawkRMX