Dryad LA?

I assume dryads have no LA listed since they're not appropriate for PC
by virtue of being tied to one spot through their Tree Dependent
quality.

However, this is D&D, and an awaken spell is not all that expensive.

An adventuring dryad with Leadership and her tree as her cohort makes an
neat character concept, IMO. With +8 to Dex, she might make a decent
rogue or finesse fighter. With +8 to Cha, multiclass with bard and get
Snowflake Wardance...

So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
way to work it out?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> writes
>So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
>calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
>but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
>way to work it out?

I would guess at +3 or +4. You should note that the LA system in SS is
more a "guide to guesstimation". The best methods remain (1) find
something similar, and base an LA estimate on that (I went straight to
the sprites there), and (2) playtest.

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:28:38 +0100, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:

>I assume dryads have no LA listed since they're not appropriate for PC
>by virtue of being tied to one spot through their Tree Dependent
>quality.
>
>However, this is D&D, and an awaken spell is not all that expensive.
>
>An adventuring dryad with Leadership and her tree as her cohort makes an
>neat character concept, IMO. With +8 to Dex, she might make a decent
>rogue or finesse fighter. With +8 to Cha, multiclass with bard and get
>Snowflake Wardance...
>
>So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
>calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
>but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
>way to work it out?

D00d, play an OA nature spirit! Same thing, only you don't have to drag a
tree around with you.

Hong "not answering the question since 1993" Ooi
--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

hong@zipworld.com.au wrote:

> >I assume dryads have no LA listed since they're not appropriate for PC
> >by virtue of being tied to one spot through their Tree Dependent
> >quality.
> >
> >However, this is D&D, and an awaken spell is not all that expensive.
> >
> >An adventuring dryad with Leadership and her tree as her cohort makes an
> >neat character concept, IMO. With +8 to Dex, she might make a decent
> >rogue or finesse fighter. With +8 to Cha, multiclass with bard and get
> >Snowflake Wardance...
> >
> >So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
> >calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
> >but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
> >way to work it out?
>
> D00d, play an OA nature spirit! Same thing, only you don't have to drag a
> tree around with you.

Nature spirits' puny +0 to Dex and Cha doesn't cut it for the munchy
martial artist/bard I want.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:57:18 +0100, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:

>hong@zipworld.com.au wrote:
>
>> >I assume dryads have no LA listed since they're not appropriate for PC
>> >by virtue of being tied to one spot through their Tree Dependent
>> >quality.
>> >
>> >However, this is D&D, and an awaken spell is not all that expensive.
>> >
>> >An adventuring dryad with Leadership and her tree as her cohort makes an
>> >neat character concept, IMO. With +8 to Dex, she might make a decent
>> >rogue or finesse fighter. With +8 to Cha, multiclass with bard and get
>> >Snowflake Wardance...
>> >
>> >So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
>> >calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
>> >but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
>> >way to work it out?
>>
>> D00d, play an OA nature spirit! Same thing, only you don't have to drag a
>> tree around with you.
>
>Nature spirits' puny +0 to Dex and Cha doesn't cut it for the munchy
>martial artist/bard I want.

What? Nature spirits get +3 to Dex and Cha. And Wis as well.

--

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:59:23 +1100, Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote:

>What? Nature spirits get +3 to Dex and Cha.

That should be +6, of course.

--

hong@zipworld.com.au wrote:

> >What? Nature spirits get +3 to Dex and Cha.
>
> That should be +6, of course.

Am I being trolled? Or is there really a monster/race in OA called
nature spirit with +6 Dex/Cha?

.... well, I checked, and there is. Sorry, never noticed it, so I assumed
you were talking about spirit folk.

But nature spirits still have the same problem as dryads! It's called
symbiosis, but it works the same: stay within 300 yards or die in 4d6
hours. And it's easier to awaken a treen than a rock or a stream...

BTW, have you noticed the additional spell-likes for Large spirits?
Shapechange 5/day and "any wu jen spell associated with the element most
closely related to the nature spirit's essence. [...] any given spell
once per day." So it's a CR 5 monster with access to, say, two or three
9th-level spells, two or three 8th-level spells, three or four 7th-level
spells and so on... each 1/day, in addition to shapechange 5/day. WTF?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:06:49 +0100, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:

>hong@zipworld.com.au wrote:
>
>> >What? Nature spirits get +3 to Dex and Cha.
>>
>> That should be +6, of course.
>
>Am I being trolled? Or is there really a monster/race in OA called
>nature spirit with +6 Dex/Cha?
>
>... well, I checked, and there is. Sorry, never noticed it, so I assumed
>you were talking about spirit folk.
>
>But nature spirits still have the same problem as dryads! It's called
>symbiosis, but it works the same: stay within 300 yards or die in 4d6
>hours. And it's easier to awaken a treen than a rock or a stream...

Well, they can be symbiotic to a much wider range of things than dryads.
Flowers are mentioned, for instance: carry a pot plant around with you.
It's crazy enough that I'm sure there's a folktale supporting this
somewhere. :)

>BTW, have you noticed the additional spell-likes for Large spirits?
>Shapechange 5/day and "any wu jen spell associated with the element most
>closely related to the nature spirit's essence. [...] any given spell
>once per day." So it's a CR 5 monster with access to, say, two or three
>9th-level spells, two or three 8th-level spells, three or four 7th-level
>spells and so on... each 1/day, in addition to shapechange 5/day. WTF?

The shapechange is still limited by caster level, so no shapechanging into
balors and the like. Still, with 8HD, that's a lot of monsters to choose
from....

I get the feeling that PCs aren't really supposed to fight these guys, so
the writers probably didn't bother to get the CRs right.

--

Hong Ooi wrote:

>>>That should be +6, of course.
>>>

>>Am I being trolled? Or is there really a monster/race in OA called
>>nature spirit with +6 Dex/Cha?
>>
>>... well, I checked, and there is. Sorry, never noticed it, so I assumed
>>you were talking about spirit folk.
>>
>>But nature spirits still have the same problem as dryads! It's called
>>symbiosis, but it works the same: stay within 300 yards or die in 4d6
>>hours. And it's easier to awaken a treen than a rock or a stream...
>>

>Well, they can be symbiotic to a much wider range of things than dryads.
>Flowers are mentioned, for instance: carry a pot plant around with you.
>It's crazy enough that I'm sure there's a folktale supporting this
>somewhere. :)

I had a bio-tech vine that functioned as body armour in a campaign
once. I believe there was something called Lifeshaped technology in 2E
Darksun. Something like that might work...

>>BTW, have you noticed the additional spell-likes for Large spirits?
>>Shapechange 5/day and "any wu jen spell associated with the element most
>>closely related to the nature spirit's essence. [...] any given spell
>>once per day." So it's a CR 5 monster with access to, say, two or three
>>9th-level spells, two or three 8th-level spells, three or four 7th-level
>>spells and so on... each 1/day, in addition to shapechange 5/day. WTF?
>>

>The shapechange is still limited by caster level, so no shapechanging into
>balors and the like. Still, with 8HD, that's a lot of monsters to choose
>from....
>
>I get the feeling that PCs aren't really supposed to fight these guys, so
>the writers probably didn't bother to get the CRs right.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

"Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> So, any ideas on a fair LA for a dryad? I know there are a few LA
>> calculators on the Web, and there's a system in Savege Species IIRC...
>> but I haven't exactly heard glowing reviews about those. Any reliable
>> way to work it out?
>
> I have always found Soldarin's method to be pretty close to spot-on:
>
> http://uenics.evansville.edu/~jc84/DD3/Monster_ECL.htm
>
> Here is a handy calculator:
>
> http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/shadows/Handbook/ECLcalc.html

Using the calculator, Dryad works out to ECL 5.9 (Therefore LA=+2). I'm
making the following assumptions:

DR 5/cold Iron is a Medium Power
Wild Empathy is a Minor Power
Spell-like Abilities are Major

Not taking Tree Dependence into account.

This seems reasonable to me.

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com