[SOLVED] dt 770 32 vs 80ohm

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Hello, im wondering how much the difference in the 80 and 32 ohm is in the bass? since i cant power 80 ohm without an amp, is it really worth it? how much better are the 80 ohm. all answers i have gotten before is, if you use a pc buy the 80 ohm or something like that. i have never gotten any good reasons why the 80 ohm is better, since i will need an amp, it will cost 100 dollars more for the 80 ohm, is it worth it?

edit: i have already seen answers telling me what higher ohm does, so there is no reason to explain that. and explaining that still doesn't answer what headphones are better :p so you know, no reason to explain:D

Solution
D
You can drive the 80ohm 770s with a motherboard and they're generally considered the most tame of the 770s in the highs and the 'best' choice. Beyers are generally easier to drive than their ohm rating suggests.
Hello, im wondering how much the difference in the 80 and 32 ohm is in the bass? since i cant power 80 ohm without an amp, is it really worth it? how much better are the 80 ohm. all answers i have gotten before is, if you use a pc buy the 80 ohm or something like that. i have never gotten any good reasons why the 80 ohm is better, since i will need an amp, it will cost 100 dollars more for the 80 ohm, is it worth it?

edit: i have already seen answers telling me what higher ohm does, so there is no reason to explain that. and explaining that still doesn't answer what headphones are better :p so you know, no reason to explain:D
What does that have to do with processors ?

You should be able to power an 80 ohm speaker without a headphone amp, even on a good number of cell phones. I use a 150 ohm set on my computer without issues. The only person that can decide which set you like better is you, it's not like saying having $1,000 is better than $100 here, it's more like saying that steak is better than fish, it depends on what you like.

Last edited:

p7r0x7

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Aight, so, when it comes to wired headphones and their power, there are two things to account for: electrical resistance (measured in ohms) and sensitivity/sound pressure level (measured in dB).

The DT 770s have a low sensitivity of 96dB and either a low impedance of 32ohms or a medium impedance of 80ohms.

This means that they can be either fairly easy to properly drive or somewhat tough to properly drive.

Amps can help with supplying more power and can add significantly to the sound (especially if it's a tube), but if you don't want one, get the 32ohm one.

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
You should be able to power an 80 ohm speaker without a headphone amp, even on a good number of cell phones. I use a 150 ohm set on my computer without issues. The only person that can decide which set you like better is you, it's not like saying having $1,000 is better than $100 here, it's more like saying that steak is better than fish, it depends on what you like.
yes thank you, but im planning on using it in my laptop to, it was my school computer before, probably the cheapest laptop you can find. so i don't know how good that can run the 80 ohm. i might go with the 80 ohm anyways thank you.
also, i assume you moved my thread, thank you, and sorry,

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Aight, so, when it comes to wired headphones and their power, there are two things to account for: electrical resistance (measured in ohms) and sensitivity/sound pressure level (measured in dB).

The DT 770s have a low sensitivity of 96dB and either a low impedance of 32ohms or a medium impedance of 80ohms.

This means that they can be either fairly easy to properly drive or somewhat tough to properly drive.

Amps can help with supplying more power and can add significantly to the sound (especially if it's a tube), but if you don't want one, get the 32ohm one.
thank you for your help. i might go with the 80 ohm anyways:D

D

Deleted member 217926

You can drive the 80ohm 770s with a motherboard and they're generally considered the most tame of the 770s in the highs and the 'best' choice. Beyers are generally easier to drive than their ohm rating suggests.

Reactions: Foxis
Solution

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
thak you, i did actually test the dt 990s 250 ohm not so long ago, they were loud enough to hear everything, but not loud anything to enjoy music, maybe loud enough for some people. It's hard to explain how loud it is, but if it can run 250 ohm decent, that must mean 80 should be running fine right?

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep. Kind of surprised the 250ohm 990s didn't get loud but if it got them close there won't be any problems with an 80ohm headphone.

Latest posts