Status
Not open for further replies.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Where are all the DTS DVDs?
Where are all the Full bitrate DTS DVDs?

Even when films are listed as having DTS audio tracks on IMDb they are often not released in any territory with DTS sound tracks included. And when some of them are, they only get 784k rather than 1500k.

Even high def. BluRay Discs are not definitely going to support HD-DTS soundtracks and certainly not at 24bit/96KHz. Now I know that a lot of people spend all the cash on the big TV and the audio often comes second which is why maybe the video side of things is pushed more by everyone when talking about High Def in general, but come on studios, there are millions of people with high/mid end audio gear out there who would benefit from better audio tracks.

Before I get flamed, I have a large collection of DVDs with DTS soundtracks so I know that they exist, but why isn't DTS standard? Even if space is a problem then at least all 2 disc editions should have the DTS track included which could then be at full bitrate.

Lastly, to anyone who needs convincing: find someone with a very good Surround set up and listen to either The Fast & the Furious or Starship Troopers (both Superbit versions) and then you will know about the true power of DTS. T2: Judgement Day or House of Flying Daggers are also good.

Tip: http://www.dvdcompare.net/ is a great website to find out which region has the best version in terms of audio / video transfers.

Rant over.

exactly whats wrong with dolby digital :twisted:

sorry , i don't watch too many dvd's myself. what are the true benefits of dts. is it better than dolby's offerings as far as acheivable quality. also it could be that alot of people's dvd players don't have dts decoding although i would find that surprising.

one reason i could think of is dolby being an ass over licenses and making sure people or at least sudios use their method rather than the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.