[SOLVED] Dual boot of Windows 10 and 7, USB on 7 stopped working.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Good morning all,
I have a PC which I did a clean install of 7 on one hhd, and then I installed 10 on the SSD.
When I select windows 7 instead of 10 from the windows boot section, windows 7 no longer has USB functionality.
I’ve tried disabling legacy USB, and reinstalling drivers. I get nothing
Only other note is that I used an old windows 10 install dvd, perhaps they fixed this issue in newer versions of 10?
Any ideas where to go from here?
My system specs as follows.

Asus H87M-Plus
I7 4790k
32gb ddr3 1600
Vega 64 LC
Windows 7 is on a 500gb sata hhd and 10 on a 1tb sata ssd.
Looking for some advice of what to do next

tried disabling legacy USB, and reinstalling drivers
tried reinstalling drivers specifically for Windows 7 from the motherboard product support download pages?
I used an old windows 10 install dvd, perhaps they fixed this issue in newer versions of 10?
are you also having issues with Windows 10?

if you appear stuck on an older revision i would download the MS Media Creation Tool and properly install the latest version available.
Windows 10 clean install tutorial | Tom's Hardware Forum

Last edited:
Try using Use Device Manager to check your USB drivers.

In the Device Manager window, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. Look for any exclamation marks or question marks or other strange marks next to the USB controllers. If you see any, it means that the USB ports are disabled or blocked. If they do, as discussed see if your MB has specific Windows 7 USB drivers (BTW I checked and they do; https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/h87m-plus/helpdesk_download/ )

Last edited:

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
tried reinstalling drivers specifically for Windows 7 from the motherboard product support download pages?

are you also having issues with Windows 10?

if you appear stuck on an older revision i would download the MS Media Creation Tool and properly install the latest version available.
Windows 10 clean install tutorial | Tom's Hardware Forum
I solved it! I had to disable intel xHCI mode in the bios.
I did install the USB drivers for 7 and they worked fine.
Why this had to be done to make it work.....no clue.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
I solved it! I had to disable intel xHCI mode in the bios.
I did install the USB drivers for 7 and they worked fine.
Why this had to be done to make it work.....no clue.
The BIOS description of XHCI Pre-Boot Mode says "Enable this option if you need USB 3.0 support in DOS." Further Windows 7 did not natively support USB 3.0, which was the purpose of the Windows 7 ASUS USB drivers . In a perfect world the XHCI mode would hand over USB support to Windows 7, but apparently that's not always the case. Did you try installing the ASUS USB drivers and seeing if they worked with XHCI enabled?

Last edited: