[SOLVED] Dual Channel needed. Confused to buy new.

Feb 24, 2019
Hi everyone.
I own a corsair vengeance LPX 16GB(1x16) 3000 mhz. I use my computer for gaming and 3d modelling. So planning to upgrade it to dual channel.

Is it possible to buy another 8GB to make it work in dual channel with the current or i need to buy another 16GB to make it work. Also do i need to buy another set of dual channel ram or buying one more of the same frequency would also work?

RAM Product Link: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-1x16GB-3000MHz-Memory/dp/B019HVSNA6

My specs:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EDIT:

This is what my motherboard manual states
Memory Slot
A1 A2 B1 B2 Frequency(Mhz)
- SR - - 2667
- DR - - 2667
- SR - SR 2667
- DR - DR 2400-2667
SR SR SR SR 2133-2400
SR/DR DR SR/DR DR 1866-2133

Is it possible to overclock speeds according to ram power or is it limited to motherboard limits?

Last edited:
Solution
If you buy an 8GB stick then it will work in Flex mode. What this does is give you dual channel across the 8GB stick and the first 8GB of the 16GB stick giving you 16GB in dual channel. The remaining 8GB from the 16GB stick will run in single channel.

If you later wanted to upgrade to 32GB you can purchase a second 8GB stick and put it in the same rank (Rank "2" - the same-color slots, for example as opposed to Channel "A") as the other 8GB stick and then the two 8GB sticks will be interleaved to act like 16GB to then dual channel with the 16GB stick you have. Just make sure that the smaller sticks are put in the first Rank which is typically Rank 2. Some motherboards confuse this though so refer to your manual and these guides...

compprob237

Distinguished
If you buy an 8GB stick then it will work in Flex mode. What this does is give you dual channel across the 8GB stick and the first 8GB of the 16GB stick giving you 16GB in dual channel. The remaining 8GB from the 16GB stick will run in single channel.

If you later wanted to upgrade to 32GB you can purchase a second 8GB stick and put it in the same rank (Rank "2" - the same-color slots, for example as opposed to Channel "A") as the other 8GB stick and then the two 8GB sticks will be interleaved to act like 16GB to then dual channel with the 16GB stick you have. Just make sure that the smaller sticks are put in the first Rank which is typically Rank 2. Some motherboards confuse this though so refer to your manual and these guides.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 24, 2019

If you later wanted to upgrade to 32GB you can purchase a second 8GB stick and put it in the same rank (Rank "2" - the same-color slots, for example as opposed to Channel "A") as the other 8GB stick and then the two 8GB sticks will be interleaved to act like 16GB to then dual channel with the 16GB stick you have. Just make sure that the smaller sticks are put in the first Rank which is typically Rank 2. Some motherboards confuse this though so refer to your manual and these guides.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Hi thanks for your reply,very grateful of you. Could you also help me with my edited query?

Reactions: compprob237

compprob237

Distinguished
Hi thanks for your reply,very grateful of you. Could you also help me with my edited query?
This question?
Is it possible to overclock speeds according to ram power or is it limited to motherboard limits?
You're only limited by what is compatible with the motherboard, CPU, and the quality of each. Anything above DDR4-2133 is considered overclocked so there is no guarantee it will work. AMD's CPUs (and the motherboards they go in) are a bit finicky with their RAM so I can't guarantee any information. The best I can tell you is that you can raise the speed of the RAM but you will want to verify its stability by following this guide: