Dual Channel Sticks + Single sticks?

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I was wondering if i could put a pair of dual channel sticks on the same color slots (4 slots total, 2 black, 2 blue)
Then 2 single sticks on the same color?
Because my brother says that you can't have two Dual channel sticks on both 2black and 2 blue slots... (i don't know if this is right, so could someone confirm?)
For example.. 2x Kingston HyperX Dual Channel 1GB on 2 Black slots and 2x 1GB Kingston (regular) each on a blue slot.

royalcrown

Distinguished
dual channel sticks are the same as regular ram...they are just matched up so the specs are as close as possible. You should be able to do it just fine. Sometimes having all 4 slots full will cause problems, but rarely, and usually 4 slots drops the speed a notch, or to whatever your slowest speed is.

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I have 2x Kingston HyperX 1200 MHz and 2x Kingston HyperX 1066MHz.
For some reason i can't put them in the motherboard in the same slots. There's a blue screen that pops up. Also when i put them in difference colored slots. I can run windows sometimes, but other times it would have blue screen. I think it's because of the speed difference.. i have a 680i Mobo... and apparently i read on the EVga website that the mobo supports only up to 1066 MHz. So.... >.> does that mean i have to buy another pair of 1066?