Dual Core or Single Core for games?

Bonez483

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok so heres the thing, im thinking about upgrading my comp soon and here are my options due to my budget
I was thinkning of going with a AMD 64 35000/3800 or a AMD 64 X2 3800. But i recently was looking at benchmarks for the dual core cpu I found that in game performance it was slacking to say the least. I found that the 64 3200 cpu performed better in some cases then the 3800 x2. I mean all I Mostly do is play some games download music and surf the net, but also i didn't want to purchase a cpu that was already outdated. Is it possible that in the coming months the dual core cpu will perform better with games???

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I've been thinking the same thing, but since the motherboard I'm getting will support either, I'll probably go single core for now, maybe change it to a dual later on this year. I don't really want to spend $300 at the moment, not when $200 is just as good for the things I do.

But if you're going to get a 3800, you may as well get the X2 for maybe $30 more. Future games WILL be multithreaded, both from tha graphics and a CPU standpoint.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm quite an online gamer and moving to dual core was the best move i've made in a long time (besides grabbing an opteron 165 :D )

Games are making their way towards dual core support and there are a number of them already there. Don't look at those benchmarks as they don't really indicate anything IMO.

I play WOW, COH/COV, FEAR, COD etc and on my opty, they play much smoother.

RichPLS

Champion
I'll probably go single core for now, maybe change it to a dual later on this year. I don't really want to spend $300 at the moment, not when $200 is just as good for the things I do.

If you can not afford more than $200 now, I agree; but if the reason and logic is that I buy now a $200 cpu because I intend to upgrade it to dual core next year and the price will be cheaper, then I would advise buy the dual core now. This will ultimately save cash in the long run and have a system to enjoy for some time to come.
JMHO

I'm thinking of a dual-core CPU upgrade also. I'm concerned about the effects that background processes like my anti-virus s/w and/or firewall may be having on games, especially when McAfee decides to download and install something in the middle of a GW mission or UW battle. That future games will use the added core makes this upgrade inevitable anyway. I have an Abit KN8 Ultra NF4U; what price/performance dual-core CPU would you guys suggest? I think $350-$400 is my likely max range, especially since I may want to add a second GB of RAM as well.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
the core clock on the 165 is slightly slower than the x2 3800, but that makes little if any difference. as stated earlier, the 165 will run cooler, has a larger cache, and has better overclocking potential.

now this doesn't mean that the x2 is not the way to go. like i said, the core clock is slightly faster than the 165, and still has plenty of overclocking abilities. i've seen quite a few people who have their x2 3800's oc'd to 2.5 on stock voltage and stock hsf. really, i'd say from here its all a matter of preference and bragging rights.

Well, I'm probably not going to overclock, or perhaps no more than 5% or so just for the sake of doing it. It's that time of year to see how much of an extortion refund I'll be getting, so I may let that help in the decision. Thanks for the input.