biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Ok... there might be a similar post like this....so sorry .. but i feel i should ask the question my way..

I have a Dual Core AMD X2 4400+

I am going to install windows xp...then install service pack 2 and all the remaining updates...

then i have the following list of patches.. i am confused which to install and which not... please help me..

What is nVidia Forceware 81.98??
is there any version newer than that??

What is Chipset Nforce 4: 6.70 or 6.85??
which one to install and what it does?

Should i install the Dual Core HotFix from Microsoft??

What is AMD Dual Core Patch which is on AMD's Site?

Sorry for so many questions but i am a first timer in dual cores and i dont want to mess it up..

Cheerz

mpjesse

Splendid
What is nVidia Forceware 81.98??
is there any version newer than that??

The latest WHQL certified drivers for nForce 4 SLI/Ultra is 6.70. You can get those directly from nVidia's site (which I would recommend). Any driver's above that for nForce4 Ultra/SLI are BETA- I wouldn't recommend those unless you know what ur doing.

What is Chipset Nforce 4: 6.70 or 6.85??
which one to install and what it does?

The 6.85 drivers are only for the nForce4 SLI x16 based boards. You <probably> don't have this board. The only major difference is the number of PCI express lanes. SLI x16 has full dual x16 lanes. Don't bother with these unless you have an A8N32-SLI or similar board. So for you, get the 6.70 drivers.

Should i install the Dual Core HotFix from Microsoft??

What is AMD Dual Core Patch which is on AMD's Site?

They're the same patch. Doesn't matter which you download. I would use M$'s if it were me.

-mpjesse

biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks mpjesse.... u kinda cleared my mind 70%... this is what i understand from what you said...

1. I should install Chipset Nforce 4 version 6.70.
2. I should install MS Dual Core Hotfix
3. I SHOULD NOT install the AMD Dual Core Patch as they are the same
as MS hotfix

4. So what is nVidia Forceware 81.98? I will have 7800GT running on my machine...

Cheerz...

ELGoku

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
That's for you card, But I recommend NOT TO DOWNLOAD the new ones from NVidia since they have a problem with DirectDraw, go to Guru 3D and download the 83.90 Beta Ones, They're made for Dual Cores.

I have a similar system like yours.. They Work Great!

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Forceware is their line of drivers for their Geforce line of graphics cards. As you have a 7800Gt, you will want the latest WHQL certified (i.e. non-beta) of those drivers. Download them from nvidia.com.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I just happen to have just bought the same proc (Athlon 64 X2 4400+). I downloaded the cool&quiet from AMD's site, but is it possible to get a link to the Microsoft hotfix that everyone is talking about?

Thanks (sorry to sorta hijack the thread).

mpjesse

Splendid
If haven't already done so, run Windows Update. It'll recommend you install the patch. It's possible it has already been installed. If windows update doesn't suggest it, then it's installed already.

-mpjesse

biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
mpjesse...still waiting for ur opinion on which forceware to install ....as above Elgoku says not to download from nvidia...and emogoch says not to download beta drivers....

very confused now...please help guys...

Lan chk ur PM

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Goto nvidia and get the drivers there... the latest certified Graphics driver for your card.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Graphics Driver | GeForce and TNT2 | Windows XP / 2000

[go]

ForceWare Release 80
Version: 81.98
Release Date: February 7, 2006
WHQL Certified

You could go get the beta drivers (84.12) from the guru site but the only thing I see that the beta drivers offer are support for new cards and some bells and whistles. I dont see any information indicating that the certified drivers (81.98) are flawed in any way... are they? anyone?

Cheers

mpjesse

Splendid
sorry mate. download the latest WHQL drivers from nVidia's site- whatever those may be. if you want to mess w/ BETA drivers go ahead... you certainly can't permanently damage anything; however stability could be less. and it's a hassle uninstalling motherboard drivers and then reinstalling them. just my opinion.

I personally don't mess w/ BETA drivers too often. From my experience they've been both unstable and the performance gains were non-existant or even worse.

-mpjesse