maybe when the software cathces up to the hardware...

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
do you think there could be a possible software/hardware fix to force the program to multi-thread?

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im working on a fix at this very moment.

I see that you found your way to the OTHER. You seem to have drawn out the big boy flame throwers. :lol:

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

I'm definitely not a software guru, but the complexities of using multiple cpus will prevent a software patch from being a feasible solution. There isn't a hardware solution because not all programs are the same. The standard - and correct - path to evolutionizing multi-core utilitarianism will be coordination between the CPU mfrs and programmers to establish standards for both to follow.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
true
but how did they get a 64 bit cpu to operate quicker?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
thats good

i guess you like mozzart huh?
ever listen to wagner that stuff rocks

G

In other words newer, more complex and much more difficult to design graphics engines right?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

It's not that the 64bit CPU will operate faster, but the software will be 64 bit and run faster on than 32bit software.

Definitely newer engines that fully utilize the 64 bit capability. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the OS will need to be 64 bit before a 64 bit prgram will be able to take advantage of the 64 bit CPU...

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I don't think anyone said its "no any good". Just depends what you do with your comp. It won't help game performance as such, but it will be great for somone running the game server and a client on the same machine for instance. It won't do a thing for office workloads, but then, what CPU does ? And it will probably be very good for media encoding and 3D rendering stuff. Not too mention, Folding, for those that care.

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting one, however, I would *not* be willing to sacrifice single threaded performance. That is just paramount to my usage. Therefore, intels dual core will probably "suck", but a dual core 2.4 K8 wouldn't hold me back one bit.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Didn't think so but didn't want to throw something out there that I wasn't sure about. Thanks :smile:

G

Wow so now we need a new graphics engine, a new OS and a lot of expensive hardware to make this happen? Talk about a pain in the arse :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>

Speed kills...

<pre>your wallet</pre><p>

G

True dat :smile:

sturm

Splendid
Untill the software developers start multi-threading all there software you wont see any benefit. Just like you wont see any benefit from 64 bit cpus. But when they do you will see a jump in performance. It will take time just like when they switched from 16 bit cpus to 32 bit cpus. Eventually software will catch up with the hardware to a point.
One interesting note I read. Anyone who owns a 939 pin amd unit should be able to drop in the dual-core cpus when they come out. If you own an un-Intel-igent cpu you will have to buy a whole new motherboard.
Bonus for AMD again if it works like they say it should.
Good for me since I just built an AMD 64 bit 3200+ system.

G

Lol that's funny :smile:

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>If you own an un-Intel-igent cpu you will have to buy a whole
> new motherboard.

Where did you read that ? its my understanding dual core P4s will be just as socket compatible as dual core Athlons.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, socket will be the same but they say it won't work on 915/925, only the 945/955 chipsets. I'm not sure WHY exactly, but it'll be interesting to see if someone finds a workaround.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Yeah, socket will be the same but they say it won't work on 915/925, only the 945/955 chipsets. I'm not sure WHY exactly, but it'll be interesting to see if someone finds a workaround.

to force people to purchase new motherboards!

-------
Work sucks.

tedlogun

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
i heard that because of the 130w tdp they had to redesign the socket, otherwise they would have been able to use 925 with an update i think