Question Dual monitor docking station/KVM switch recommendation

lpallard

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hey there,

I am searching for a cheap-ish KVM switch to be able to seamlessly switch between my desktop and work laptop (when working from home) and use the same monitors and KB/mouse. Right now to switch between the machines, I have to unplug KB/mouse and monitors and plug them to the other machine, and that requires switching the monitor's inputs which, especially on the desktop (which runs linux mint), screws up the desktop setup and display settings (mint is still not capable of handling dynamic plug and play stuff yet.....)
  • Monitor A is a LG 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) display using HDMI.
  • Monitor B is an older Samsung B2440 1080p (1920x1080) display using DVI (could use a DVI to HDMI adapter if needed).
  • KB and mouse of course are USB.
  • Laptop has HDMI and USBC (no thunderbolt). I have a Dell multi-input USB-C adapter with HDMI/VGA/Network/USB so I can add those ports to what the laptop provides.
Most of the KVM switches I could find are very expensive because of the high resolution monitors... I guess they have a graphics chip in them to process the signal?

Best setup would be connecting all my stuff (desktop, monitors, KB-mouse) to this "box" and when working with the laptop, connect a cable to the laptop and press a button and Voila.

Looking for a recommendation under $250USD.

Thanks!

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hey there,

I am searching for a cheap-ish KVM switch to be able to seamlessly switch between my desktop and work laptop (when working from home) and use the same monitors and KB/mouse. Right now to switch between the machines, I have to unplug KB/mouse and monitors and plug them to the other machine, and that requires switching the monitor's inputs which, especially on the desktop (which runs linux mint), screws up the desktop setup and display settings (mint is still not capable of handling dynamic plug and play stuff yet.....)
  • Monitor A is a LG 34" ultrawide (3440x1440) display using HDMI.
  • Monitor B is an older Samsung B2440 1080p (1920x1080) display using DVI (could use a DVI to HDMI adapter if needed).
  • KB and mouse of course are USB.
  • Laptop has HDMI and USBC (no thunderbolt). I have a Dell multi-input USB-C adapter with HDMI/VGA/Network/USB so I can add those ports to what the laptop provides.
Most of the KVM switches I could find are very expensive because of the high resolution monitors... I guess they have a graphics chip in them to process the signal?

Best setup would be connecting all my stuff (desktop, monitors, KB-mouse) to this "box" and when working with the laptop, connect a cable to the laptop and press a button and Voila.

Looking for a recommendation under $250USD.

Thanks!
What is the LG 34 inch monitor's model number? It's required to check the max resolution and the refresh rate it can go.

The video outputs of your Desktop PC are also required. For example, the GPU which having VGA , HDMI or DVI or DisplayPort video outputs ?