Question Newer SSD and HDD aren't booting on somewhat old pc

Jul 27, 2024
I have a Dell Inspiron 580s with BIOS A07 11/13/2010.

It works normally with the HDD it has on Windows 10 pro. However, when I replace that drive for a different one the system won't boot. I've tried a Crucial ct275mx300ssd1 and also a Toshiba mq01abf050. The screen goes black and that's it. If I enter the bios they are detected with the appropriate name. If I set those drives as secondary drives, I can use them for back up purposes. I do not want that though, I want to be able to boot on either of them.

Could it be that the BIOS is so old that these newer drives simply aren't compatible? What can I do to boot the computer using my Crucial SSD or my Toshiba HDD?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For a computer to be able to boot up and run, you MUST have an Operating System (e.g. Windows) installed on a storage device (e.g. a hard drive or an SSD) so it can load up that software to work. Without that your system can do nothing. That is why USAFRet asked whether you actually did install an OS on your SSD.

Reactions: CountMike
Jul 27, 2024
Hi, thank you for the answers.

Yes, both drives, the Crucial SSD and the Toshiba HDD, have Windows 10 pro installed on them. I actually tested both drives in different computers and they work properly, I can boot from them.

I don't know which additional details you want me to give. Feel free to ask.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, thank you for the answers.

Yes, both drives, the Crucial SSD and the Toshiba HDD, have Windows 10 pro installed on them. I actually tested both drives in different computers and they work properly, I can boot from them.

I don't know which additional details you want me to give. Feel free to ask.
Booting up in a different system is no guarantee of booting up in this system.

A Windows install is not modular like that.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
An important detail. You said "have Windows 10 pro installed on them". HOW did you install Windows? To work properly the Install process MUST have been done in that SAME machine. EVERY Windows installation is customized for the machine it is in at installation time. You can NOT take a SSD or HDD containing a pre-installed Windows from one machine and plug it into a different machine and expect it to work.

Do all drives use UEFI scheme? Or old BIOS style partitioning? Is your BIOS set to use the correct partition scheme? Is your BIOS capable of using either scheme? If the partition scheme is wrong, or if the BIOS setting is for the wrong partition type, then the drives are there but not considered as valid partitions.