Question Dual monitors losing signal often, requiring me to reset the GPU ?

Feb 22, 2024
Hey there!

I have an issue going on with my PC involving my monitors losing signal. I've tried all I can to fix it but the best I've gotten was a quick remedy for it every time it happens. I've scoured this forum and have found a lot of helpful tips and some useful information that may help me later on if I want to try and build my own PC. But so far, no good. So I'm hoping my case is a bit different, in which someone could help me find a solution.

Background: So I received this PC from my work in 2020 but it was previously used by my co-workers at least since early 2019. When I started using it, the work wasn't very demanding but playing games on it was a little bit, so I'd lower display quality for it to run smoothly (APEX).

Fast-forward to Nov-Dec '23, I was working until my dual monitors lost signal but my pc was still running. I like to game throughout the day so I had a game running in the back that I would switch in and out of (FF7 Remake). I did that up until this point in time. I tried to remove all the cords and put them back, cleared dust from the fans and inside the case, replaced BIOS battery, and reseated the RAM card. None of it worked. I went home for the holidays and left my PC unplugged for about a month and when I returned and booted it up again, everything ran normal.

About a week ago, the issue occurred while I was playing a game (APEX). This time, the rear fan stopped spinning. A little push would would get it up and running again. I brought it into a shop for a diagnosis but he didn't find anything wrong. The issue still occurred when I brought it back home. So I asked my buddy for his help. It was all through facetime, but he had me try a few things. The main thing I got from him was that my PC would be reading the video on the motherboard and not my GPU. His solution was to reset the GPU with 'Ctrl + Shift + Win + B' and it worked. That is the remedy I use whenever the issue occurs.

It has occurred under these conditions: definitely when I play APEX (I haven't tried other games) and sometimes booting up the next morning after a normal shutdown. The steps I take to fix it:
  1. Disconnect my display cables from GPU
  2. Plug HDMI into onboard video
  3. Reset my GPU (Ctrl + Shft + Win + B)
  4. Hard shutdown
  5. Unplug HDMI cable
  6. Boot up PC
  7. Plug HDMI back into GPU
  8. If display works, then I plug my DP back into GPU

Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processors
CPU cooler: idk the exact model but it's a Cooler Master that came with the PC
Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00, 3/4/2019
Ram: TeamGroup 8GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: HP SSD S700 Pro 512GB
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU
Chassis: Thermaltake Versa N21 Mid-Tower Case (White)
Both Monitors: Acer KB272HL

I apologize for dropping so much info but I'm pretty new to all of this and unfamiliar with the lingo so I wanted to give as much detail as I could. I'd appreciate any insight into what the problem could be and how to fix it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024
I am most suspicious of your PSU failing under load, particularly when gaming (when the GPU consumed the most power).

Your PSU is of marginal quality and getting old. I would recommend replacing with a higher quality 650w unit.
Sorry, I may have left some key details out that I edited back in. When you refer to it 'failing under load', do you mean my pc turning off? Because it still continues to run after my monitors lose signal. And just recently the rear fan would sometimes stop spinning so I'd have to give it a nudge to get it running again.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like the GPU is having a power issue. You should not attach/detach video connections while the system is powered on.

When your GPU is pushing pixels to two displays, it uses more power. Especially when gaming at higher graphics settings.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024
Sounds like the GPU is having a power issue. You should not attach/detach video connections while the system is powered on.

When your GPU is pushing pixels to two displays, it uses more power. Especially when gaming at higher graphics settings.
Okay cool so I can try out upgrading my PSU and see if it does the trick. How did you calculate 650W as the minimum? Does 'the higher, the better' apply here?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Genuinely asking to learn, why do say it was a poor choice? How can you tell?

It's a very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU. These are notorious for being low quality, a Thermaltake label slapped on old junk Sirfa units unsuitable for modern hardware that uses +12V almost entirely. They'd be contenders for the worst PSUs released by a major brand if not for the fake that the Thermaltake Litepower ones (and arguably the EVGA N1) are even worse.