Dungeon 114

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!

They also had an intriguing 1st-level adventure which takes place within
the City of Greyhawk and one of the cairns in the Cairn Hills. The only
thing that irked me was the cliffhanger ending to the adventure.
Hopefully, there will be a follow-on in the future.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
> surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
> it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
> fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!

Sacreilege! That was in many respects the first real Mystara adventure.
Greyhawk indeed (grumble, grumble).

--
Let's not let this drift into a topic about playing your alignment. I
have too much to do to be able to properly ridicule and post whore.

In rec.games.frp.dnd Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:

: Sacreilege! That was in many respects the first real Mystara adventure.
: Greyhawk indeed (grumble, grumble).

Well, it's not like the WotC Gaming Police will come a knockin' if you
plunk it into your Mystara campaign...

"Jeff Heikkinen" <oh@s.if> wrote in message
> Ubiquitous, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> > I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
> > surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
> > it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
> > fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!
>
> Sacreilege! That was in many respects the first real Mystara adventure.
> Greyhawk indeed (grumble, grumble).

Yeah, I saw that in the bookstore at lunch. It was X1 that defined every
nation in the Known World. I suppose the Isle of Dread is out of the way
enough that a DM can get away with pulling it into whatever setting. But in
that case Dungeon should have said "we've designed it so you CAN make it an
Olman island" and not "we've designed it so it IS an Olman island".

It's not like I pay much attention to Greyhawk these days anyway. Remember
that ridiculous shoehorning of B2?

--
zimriel sbc dot
at global net

In rec.games.frp.dnd Zimri <zimriel@sbcspammlesforglobal.net> wrote:

: It's not like I pay much attention to Greyhawk these days anyway. Remember
: that ridiculous shoehorning of B2?

You mean the remake of Keep on the Borderlands?
Wow, what a mess!

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Zimri, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> "Jeff Heikkinen" <oh@s.if> wrote in message
> > Ubiquitous, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
> > > I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
> > > surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
> > > it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
> > > fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!
> >
> > Sacreilege! That was in many respects the first real Mystara adventure.
> > Greyhawk indeed (grumble, grumble).
>

> Yeah, I saw that in the bookstore at lunch. It was X1 that defined every
> nation in the Known World. I suppose the Isle of Dread is out of the way
> enough that a DM can get away with pulling it into whatever setting. But in
> that case Dungeon should have said "we've designed it so you CAN make it an
> Olman island" and not "we've designed it so it IS an Olman island".
>
> It's not like I pay much attention to Greyhawk these days anyway. Remember
> that ridiculous shoehorning of B2?

I didn't think that was too bad, actually, though there were Mystara-
specific elements, such as a character from the setting described in The
Lost City, that sort of undermined the Greyhawk setting. But that's
okay, B2 doesn't sit well with me in its proposed place in Mystara
either. If I ever run it, I'll move it south - most of my Mystara stuff
is packed away, so I can't remember the name but I would make it be that
costal fort by the Thyatis-Karameikos border (Rugalov Keep?). There
hasn't been a hint of hostilities between those powers for a generation
as of AC 1000, so that would explain the fact that it's not in a very
good state of military readiness in Return to the Keep on the
Borderlands, yet it's far enough out of the way that the humanoids
aren't too implausible (or at least, that all the implausibility is
inherent in the apartment-complex setup of the Caves of Chaos).

--

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Y5Cdnba8wtdryIzcRVn-
og@comcast.com:

> I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
> surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
> it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
> fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!

What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already out
there? Or am I misreading you?

Knight37

Knight37 wrote:

> What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already out
> there? Or am I misreading you?

It's a good way to win points with the fanboys, and for the people who
are newer to the hobby, it doesn't matter whether it's original or not,
as they haven't seen it yet.
--
Stephenls
Geek

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <Xns953D93C1D3ECDknight37@130.133.1.4>, knight37m@email.com
wrote:
>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

>> I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was pleasantly
>> surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread adventure by placing
>> it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman islands with a
>> fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary Holian. Oh happy day!
>
>What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already out
>there? Or am I misreading you?

It's part nostalga, but also because it was a good adventure redone well.

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in

> Knight37 wrote:
>
>> What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already
>> out there? Or am I misreading you?
>
> It's a good way to win points with the fanboys, and for the people who
> are newer to the hobby, it doesn't matter whether it's original or
> not, as they haven't seen it yet.

It's a waste of magazine space IMHO. I don't subscribe to Dungeon but
this doesn't make me want to.

Knight37

> In article <Xns953D93C1D3ECDknight37@130.133.1.4>, knight37m@email.com
> wrote:
>>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>
>>> I just checked out the new format of Dungeon (#114) and was
>>> pleasantly surprised. They redid the old X1: Isle of Dread
>>> adventure by placing it "officially" in Greyhawk as one of the Olman
>>> islands with a fantastic background writeup on the region by Gary
>>> Holian. Oh happy day!
>>
>>What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already
>>out there? Or am I misreading you?
>
> It's part nostalga, but also because it was a good adventure redone
> well.

What parts were redone? Apart from changing the game world to GH versus
Mystara. Feel free to spoil me, I have played the original multiple
times.

Knight37

Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
> I didn't think that was too bad, actually, though there were Mystara-
> specific elements, such as a character from the setting described in The
> Lost City ....

I don't remember this, which is surprising since B4 is one of my three
most favorite adventures. What's the character? Including a Cynidicean
in Greyhawk B2 doesn't make sense, unless they also planned a Return to
the Lost City.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"Knight37" wrote
> Stephenls wrote in
> >
> >> What's so great about reprinting a bunch of material that's already
> >> out there? Or am I misreading you?
> >
> > It's a good way to win points with the fanboys, and for the people who
> > are newer to the hobby, it doesn't matter whether it's original or
> > not, as they haven't seen it yet.
>
> It's a waste of magazine space IMHO. I don't subscribe to Dungeon but
> this doesn't make me want to.

It was actually a pretty good update to the original. It gave a interesting
background that was somewhat lacking in the original, and included a nifty
poster/map and a new adventure.

John

Ubiquitous wrote:
>In rec.games.frp.dnd Jeff Heikkinen <oh@s.if> wrote:
>
>: Sacreilege! That was in many respects the first real Mystara adventure.
>: Greyhawk indeed (grumble, grumble).
>
>Well, it's not like the WotC Gaming Police will come a knockin' if you
>plunk it into your Mystara campaign...

Indeed! Yeah I was a bit miffed by the whole transplantation into GH
myself, but then again, a poster map and conversion to 3e of the whole
Island _is_ going to enrich my Mystara Campaign. Looking forward to
setting my PCs up against the Dinos!

Havard