dvd drive not reading

newgamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
after taking the dvd and the cd-rw from old emachine system into the new system with new os, window xp, for some reason the dvd stop reading disc or dvd disc. jumpers are correctly set. had reinserted ide cables. both drives do show in My Computer folder but when put a dvd or cd disc in, it tells me to insert a disc in. the cd-rw works fine. what is the wrong with the dvd drive? any help?

newgamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
I try everything this guy
Ihgpoobaa said but still not working:
Yeah. I had problems occasionally with my pioneer 106S doing that.
Seemed to be a random occurance.

Things you can try:
A. Set DMA mode
B. Reinstall chipset/IDE drivers
C. Delete drive from the hardware profile and let windows reinstall it
D. Delete the offending IDE channel in the hardware profile and let windows reinstall it.

maybe I need to clean my dvd drive or something
and oh, what the hell is multi-word mode in the DMA setting. My two drives are set in multi-word mode 1 and 2 and I don't know what that is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. gotting a cd/dvd cleaning disc is a good idea.
Dont worry about multiword DMA. That means its working properly. DMA is good.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

newgamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
ok, since my dvd drive refuse to read any cd, then what is the use with the dvd disc cleaner. It would still refuse to read that dvd cleaner, am I right?

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
When you inserted a disc, did your dvd drive motor ever spin for few secs and then complained about the problem? If it spins, then the cleaner will work. Otherwise you might need to open the drive case and clean the lens directly.

DoctorThe

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I would submit (after having the same problems myself as newgamer) that Windows XP will not play copyrighted DVDs on systems with graphic cards with TV outputs and using software decoding. I would further submit that Macromedia copyright protection is the culprit.

Now for the circumstances. I have a brand new Windows XP system with a very fast Intel HyperThreading processor, NVidia GeForce3 500ti video, a combo DVD/CDR/CDRW drive and 1Gb of memory. Now You would think that this system would Kick Ass. It does. But it won't play a copyrighted DVD.

I put in a older DVD "Amadeus" and it plaved beautifully.

I have tried everything. I have turned off the HyperThreading. No change. All drivers are current but may be a bit juvenile. I have tried a myriad of differernt players.(MGI SoftDVD MAX,PowerDVD3, NVDVD,WinDVD) I get errors like "no disk detected","disk may be damaged or dirty or otherwise inhibits playback"(Hell that time it was a brand new disk right out of the package). Or they just crash.PowerDVD gave me a numbered error That I tracked down to being Macromedia related. I downloaded a program that circumvents Macromedia. DVDIdle. I then ran "Star Wars Episode 2" in PowerDVD and it played the FBI warning screen that's at the beginning of all recorded video then the producer video splahses and then it hangs. The same happened to "Men in Black II". But I can put in an older film such as "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" and no problems.
DMA issues are not a problem since my DVD drive runs in mode3 and has 8Mb of casche ram.

To test my theory I installed Windows 98 on alternate hard drive and ran "Star Wars Episode 2" in WinDVD and Had no Problems.

So again I submit that Microsoft XP will sabotage your attempts to play copyrighted DVDs.

If anybody has a solution to this vexing issue I would be grateful and so would Microsoft. I smell a class action lawsuit.

vurbal

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2001
I have WinXP on my system with my Radeon 7500 and I have no problems playing any DVD from my Pioneer DVR-104 burner, either on the screen or through my video out. That doesn't mean it will work on any system though. WinXP is known to cause some people problems with any number of DVD video related programs. It doesn't happen on every system, and I would guess it's related to the exact hardware and software you are running. Unfortunately I've never found a resource to nail down exactly what causes this. My own system has a problem with inserting new discs in the DVD burner. I frequently have to open and close the DVD tray several times for Windows to acknowledge that there is a different disc. This never happened with the CD burner it replaced and doesn't happen when I boot to Win2k.

nicholi1120

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

Ha...if only, it has to do with software, I have an issue with mine occasionally, when even no disk is inserted my OS(WinXP Pro) shows it as a CD drive...Software doesn't work in a logical fashion, you can load identical software on 5 computers with the exact same hardware on each, and it may act 5 different ways...Hardware on the other hand works logically(thank ^), if it's not working, there's a traceable reason(cable. power, damaged)...as for having to open and close your DVD burner, try uninstalling it from the device manager and doing a "Scan for hardware changes" alot of times, especially if you've had your comp for a while, the drivers have gotten goofed and that will clean them up(mostly)