[SOLVED] DVI-D to HDMI A/V Receiver, will the image work?

Mar 28, 2020
Hello there,

This might a stupid question but an easy one for some to answer. Will a DVI-D cable connected to an HDMI input at the A/V receiver work?

I am looking to convert an old laptop to a plex server but I just realized it only has VGA port and not HDMI. (I know i'll have to use a VGA/DVI adapter), I am not looking to get audio, just the image so I can control it from the TV. I have used DVI to HDMI (TV) before and that worked, but I am not sure about the receiver since it has different A/V processing unit.

In case you are wondering why I have not tried yet is because I can't. My old laptop is HDD-less, I am waiting for a new one so I can reinstall windows and set it up. So currently I am unable to test it out. Also, I have just ordered a DVI-D cable since I am lacking one right now. Just wanted to see if someone can save me the trouble.

Thank you in advance

EDIT: Receiver is a Yamaha RX-675

Solution
It's a bit complicated.

Getting a DVI-D to HDMI is the easy part. It's getting the signal from vga to the DVI is a problem. If you look online you will only find DVI-I/VGA adapters. Although in theory DVI-I signal (analog & digital) is compatible with DVI-D (DVI-D will only read the digital signal), in reality it may not work. Lots of the reviews for that DVI-I/VGA adapter doesn't work with DVI-D. So it may or may not work. Also the adapters that I searched for, all stipulate that it converts DVI to VGA signal not the other way around.

You may also think that you could use a VGA/DVI cable. But I have yet to find a bi-directional cable. It seems like it only works from a DVI input to VGA, again not the other way around.

An option that...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
It's a bit complicated.

Getting a DVI-D to HDMI is the easy part. It's getting the signal from vga to the DVI is a problem. If you look online you will only find DVI-I/VGA adapters. Although in theory DVI-I signal (analog & digital) is compatible with DVI-D (DVI-D will only read the digital signal), in reality it may not work. Lots of the reviews for that DVI-I/VGA adapter doesn't work with DVI-D. So it may or may not work. Also the adapters that I searched for, all stipulate that it converts DVI to VGA signal not the other way around.

You may also think that you could use a VGA/DVI cable. But I have yet to find a bi-directional cable. It seems like it only works from a DVI input to VGA, again not the other way around.

An option that seems to work, is to get a VGA to HDMI converter. Look for "Gana VGA to HDMI converter". It takes your vga input together with an audio input using an audio cable connected to your laptop and converts it to a digital, HDMI output. This will probably be your best option, cheapest and cleanest, instead of getting/trying some multi-adapter design that may or may not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk.m2
Solution
Mar 28, 2020
It's a bit complicated.

An option that seems to work, is to get a VGA to HDMI converter. Look for "Gana VGA to HDMI converter". It takes your vga input together with an audio input using an audio cable connected to your laptop and converts it to a digital, HDMI output. This will probably be your best option, cheapest and cleanest, instead of getting/trying some multi-adapter design that may or may not work.

I bought the gana product and it worked perfectly!! Thank you very much!!!