SuicidalLemming

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello everyone. I just built myself a gaming computer. When i plug my DVI cable into my GPU the screen works, but when i plug it into the motherboard it doesn't. I have the "Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3" Motherboard. I think it's a driver problem but i can't find any DVI drivers. Since this is my first build i am a PC noob so can anyone tell me what driver i need to install because i can't seem to find it. http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq.aspx?pid=3973&pkw=&t=2@0$2@0$2,0,0@1$3973#1-pr-0

SuicidalLemming

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

What GPU are you using?
The IGP usually shuts off when the system has an addon GPU. Unless you're going in for a Hybrid setup, but, I doubt that board has it.
I'd also like to know why do you need to plug in the DVI into the Mobo Display Port? When you're already using the GPU?

SuicidalLemming

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I can't seem to find the video driver :S What is the name of it?

The reason i want to plug it into my motherboard is that i'm getting a new monitor in a couple of days and my motherboard has dual dvi input and my GPU doesn't. I am using an Inno3D Geforce 560

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
You can use both, I am at the moment. But you need to make sure it's enabled in the bios.

Once enabled, go here http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20758&lang=eng&wapkw=(8.15.10.2559) and download either the 64bit one or the 32bit depending on which version of Windows you have.

Though you have to be running Windows 7 to use both if I recall correctly.

I would almost guess you are trying to use Virtu?

If you are, yeah, just enable it in the bios(the option for asus is a bit different but it is called iGPU multi monitor and initiate graphics adapter -> iGPU)

After that is done, you just install the drivers linked above and are good to go.

If you are going to use Virtu, get it from the virtu website as it is more up to date.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
That's what we're talking about (nukemaster and I).

Enable the Onboard in your bios, make sure it boots from PCIE or PCIE/PCI first(depending on how its listed), boot into windows, install the Intel Drivers I linked to, and then download Virtu or not(if you have no plans for Quicksync you won't need it)

You can grab Virtu here http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-virtu.html

Here's my Device Manager showing both GPUs installed, and showing my two monitors, one is hooked to the Motherboard, the other to my 560 Ti.
usingboth.png

Edit: Actually I just reread your post. If you play games at all(I would assume so since you have a GTX 560) I'd hook one monitor up to the Motherboard and one to the GTX 560(your primary Monitor should be used here). That's how I have mine setup, and it works perfectly. I'm using both because with 2 monitors hooked up to my 560 Ti it does not downclock at all and runs noticeably warmer at idle.

If you do NOT see your card in windows, enter the bios and select Advance and set Onboard VGA to Always Enable. If you do not do this, then it auto disables when your have the 560 installed. Save those settings, then you should be able to detect and install the drivers.

If you are not trying to use Virtu, just do like above, connect the screen you want to game on to your 560 and the other one to the Intel onboard.

You should be able to use the DVI + HDMI(to dvi), but game performance is not good on the onboard card.

Basic idea of Virtu, but i do NOT think you are looking for that, seems you want to just have extra screens(productivity).

Virtu lets many games run from the dedicated card yet be plugged into the motherboard output. It has a side effect of lowering power consumption since the onboard video will handle video and other hardware acceleration(The iGPU takes less power to watch a video then many dedicated cards), while the dedicated will handle 3d games. Please note that not ALL games are supported by Virtu.

You've got it all wrong......

"The reason i want to plug it into my motherboard is that i'm getting a new monitor in a couple of days and my motherboard has dual dvi input and my GPU doesn't. I am using an Inno3D Geforce 560 "

When you get your new monitor , just plug the DVI Cable that comes along with into the second DVI Port on the GPU. Leave the IGP as is, you don't need to mess with that at all. Forget you have a mobo that has a VGA port on it.
IMO, you're trying to match up things after reading the specifications of the new monitor and that says, you need a Dual DVI Link...... Don't worry here's a little something more for you to read. Laater down in the reply.
Your GPU
inno3d-ichill-gtx560_outputs.jpg

Connect each one of those ports to one monitor each.

"The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600. "

And they are not 'Inputs'... they are 'Outputs' for the Mobo and 'Inputs' for the Monitor.....
So neither does your Mobo nor GPU have dual dvi inputs..... they both have outputs.

The mobo by itself will support dual monitors if you were to use a combination of any of the two ports out of the four available ones. But most probably it's the DVI-D and the D-SUB ports.