[SOLVED] Dynamic CPU fan running high all day

Brandon_77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Hi guys,

Up until yesterday or today, my CPU fan has been running at high speed for no apparent reason that I can see. It's a Prism cooler for Ryzen 3700X, and it normally changes speeds dependent on CPU temp. This speed will come on when playing Call of Duty and such, but usually very quiet with easy tasking like Internet browsing. As you can see, the temps appear to be fine. I did download an update for windows recently, manually. But that's the only thing I can think of. I even changed Power Plans around to no avail. Also, CPU usage in Task Manager is at 3%. Any suggestions? Settings to check?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Okay, that 675000 rpm fan is a black hole...lol

Boot up a linux live cd/usb. Does the fan go back to normal? If so, something in windows is using the cpu. There's a lot of cryptojack stuff out there mining on people's hardware without permission, so something to look for. Firefox even has an option to enable it that's on by default.
Okay, that 675000 rpm fan is a black hole...lol

Boot up a linux live cd/usb. Does the fan go back to normal? If so, something in windows is using the cpu. There's a lot of cryptojack stuff out there mining on people's hardware without permission, so something to look for. Firefox even has an option to enable it that's on by default.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Something is using the cpu somewhere, just saying task manager says 3% doesn't tell the whole story, since there's cores at 17% and 23%.

The 675000rpm is a little high, but that looks like there's only a single exhaust fan, which explains the gpu temps at such a low load.

You could just boot to bios. Check the fan settings in there, even play with them a little and see how they respond. Bios is roughly a 50% load, so the fans should be higher, you should be seeing temps in the high 40's-low 50's with that airflow issue, but not yet max, default for max is 70°C

Reactions: Brandon_77

Brandon_77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Something is using the cpu somewhere, just saying task manager says 3% doesn't tell the whole story, since there's cores at 17% and 23%.

The 675000rpm is a little high, but that looks like there's only a single exhaust fan, which explains the gpu temps at such a low load.

You could just boot to bios. Check the fan settings in there, even play with them a little and see how they respond. Bios is roughly a 50% load, so the fans should be higher, you should be seeing temps in the high 40's-low 50's with that airflow issue, but not yet max, default for max is 70°C

Should I get another exhaust fan?

Brandon_77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Alright guys, here's what I did. Started simple first and just flat-out uninstalled FireFox -> then Restarted in Safe Mode and the fan was still screaming -> couldn't remember PIN for windows, so restarted as normal -> Fan went back to normal.

I guess the only thing that really changed was Uninstalling firefox. I guess that's the solution for now.

Here is the HWMonitor now:

upload pic

Alright guys, here's what I did. Started simple first and just flat-out uninstalled FireFox -> then Restarted in Safe Mode and the fan was still screaming -> couldn't remember PIN for windows, so restarted as normal -> Fan went back to normal.

I guess the only thing that really changed was Uninstalling firefox. I guess that's the solution for now.
Sounds like FF was mining. Glad you found the root cause. Still don't know how your fan showed that high of an rpm--that is a serious hoot since neutron stars, magnetars, and black holes can't even spin that fast!