Larkie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Hi all i wanted to overclock my cpu. my rig is mobo p5ne sli ram ocz 6400 800mhz 2/ 2g cpu E6750 psu ocz 600watt 2 8800gts 320mbi also put in ak-965 fan for better cooling of cpu I am a beginner but have been reading up on this and have got a little understanding but would be handy if i could get a step by step help so i dont fry the lot. My timings 6-6-6-18. I would like to get to 3.2

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
You should have no issue going to 3.2ghz by just increasing the front side bus to 400mhz. This will not be an issue for your Ram as it will keep your ram at 800 mhz, so no issue for the loose timings you have. You probably won't even have to increase your core voltage at all. I have been running my e6750 at 3.2 for the last year without increasing the voltage. temps stay pretty low, maybe getting to 60 when playing crisis or doing stress testing, but my case is not exactly the coolest.

Larkie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks i will try what would you say my timing should be then at 2.66ghz Thanks for your time i will try it right now

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
What EXACTLY did you change "up"? You should not need to change anything except the front side bus for your CPU from within your bios. Try taking it to 375mhz first. Then once it boots up properly take it to 400. you definitely should not need to mess with voltage to get to 3ghz and more than likely won't need to for 3.2ghz, but start lower then higher.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
that takes your processor to 2.7ghz. a minor increase. The relationship between fsb and external cpu frequency is in fourths. your cpu has a bus/core ratio of 8. so if you take 1353.3/4 you get your external cpu frequency. Then multiply that times the cpu multiplier of 8 and you get 2.706 as the speed of the processor. a QDR increase to 1500 would translate to 3.0 ghz for your cpu.

I am taking a look at your manual right now. The only barrier i could see would be your board, but i am not familiar with it's limitations so i will take a look and re-post in a minute.

Norks

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I have maintained the E6750 processor in my system at 3.55MHz rock-stable for the past 10 months. I have the Abit IX38 Quad GT MOBO and 2 X 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-8500, with the following settings in BIOS:

CPU-User define
External clock (FSB)- 444MHz (1776 Quad-pumped
Multiplier factor - x8
New CPU clock - 3.55 GHz
DRAM speed (CPU : DRAM) - 1:1.2 (DDR2 1065)
Voltages control - user define
CPU Core voltage VID - 1.35V
CPU Core voltage offset - .050V
Target Core voltage - 1.400V
DDR2 Voltage - 2.20V
CPU VTT Voltage - 1.21V
MCH Voltage - 1.26V
CPU VTT GTLREF - 68%
Thermal Control - enabled
C1E Function - disabled
EIST Functin - disabled
DRAM Timings - Manual - 5-5-5-Auto

With these settings and two Radeon HD3870 cards in Crossfire mode (stock settings), I recorded a 3DMark06 score of 16,053.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
the good news is your board has a max of 3000 for the QDR so it is possible it will work at 1500 or 1600 (needed for the 3.2 overclock you want). try taking it up a little at a time and keep an eye on the memory speeds as it increases to determine the relationship. you should be able to leave it linked and let the board use the auto setting for your memory without a problem as memory speed on dual channel is a times 2 of your external cpu frequency. Thus ultimatley a 1600 QDR would be 400 mhz on the external, times 8 on your cpu multiplier yields a 3.2ghz overclock and your memory would be x2 thus a 800 mhz speed which is what your memory is rated to.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
for what you are doing that may be just fine. if you run into an issue past 1500 qdr then a slight bump to your vcore for the cpu may be needed (like .25). I don't have to adjust any settings for a rock solid overclock to 3.2 ghz (unless i want to) using my p5e motherboard. of course if you tinker with other stuff you can go higher at the expense of more heat. But this should only be done once you understand a little more about the different things that impact overclocking. keep in mind that if you start messing around with your memory speeds it will have an impact on your overclock. the best thing to do is to keep your memory at 1:1 ratio to start so you can identify if your cpu/board/memory can handle the overclock. you won't see much impact from increasing memory speeds in the real world (other than benchmarks) and it can result in an unstable overclock. it's always best to work one thing at a time when overclocking so you can identify what works or doesn't.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
the scream is concerning, so yes. But, i don't know what you changed to get that. increasing the QDR a little at a time (say 250 increase each time) should not hurt anything unless you go crazy high. Basically your system will just restart if it can't take the overclock.

Norks shows what can be done with tweaking alot, but doesn't explain that to get there you start somewhere hence my previous post. I have had my e6750 at 3.6 stable for some time with tweaking a number of things. But generally keep it at 3.2ghz as even on crysis i really don't get higher frame rates (maybe 1 frame, not really noticeable) using my 8800gt card. a newer card might remove that block and thus a higher overclock will yield more benefit from the higher overclock, but until you get the basics I don't advise going crazy. First work the QDR to see what your board and chip will do at stock vcores then go from there.

Larkie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Whem i put memory ratio at 1:1 it sets memory at level of QDR i have a option of sync made that drops it to 667 would this be the way to go ?

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
memory is dual channel, QDR stands for quad data rate so it's the external cpu frequency times four. if you keep it at auto, your memory will run at two times the fsb. FSB at a 1600 QDR is 400 thus memory will be at 800 mhz which is what your memory is rated to. Therefore you should be able to run everything at auto other than adjusting the QDR to determine how high you can go on the cpu speed without adjusting voltage or anything else. It's the best place to start and probably will get you to the overclock you want.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Nvidia chipset motherboards, you can unlink the RAM. Run it unlinked and at 800mhz. This will ensure that memory is not a problem while you work on your CPU.

Kl2amer

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
you never said what you changed so I am not sure. it looks like you are changing more than just the QDR and without knowing what you are doing it's difficult to tell you. unlink the memory and run it at 800 like flyin15sec said, up your QDR to 1400, leave everything else alone and report back what happens. Also when do you hear the scream? where is it coming from (speakers, graphics card, board speaker, board in general, a drive, etc...).

Also, when you originally heard the scream you stated you upped something to 20, what was it?