EA Boss Nods To Core Gamers' Issue with Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
They made Origin mandatory on many titles; that is not giving choice. If EA brings BF3 to Steam without their crap I'll gladly pay full price for it.

There is a long list of games that I want and the only reason that keeps me from getting them is crappy DRM.

Btw you add value FIRST, then people come to your service. Forcing it using exclusive AAA titles... well for me EA is on my black list for some time now.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
"It was one of the few things we have done that wasn’t controversial and nobody had anything negative to say."

It's one of those 'hear no evil, see no evil," deals. They chose to ignore the community.

But I know that just bcuz I don't like Origiin that doesn't mean that everybody else has a problem with it.

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Btw a Crysis Package is really cheap on Steam now, I really want it but... SecuROM is a no deal.

If they want my money ever, they better kill SecuROM.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
The only online games store I support is GOG.com, everything is DRM free, prices are region free, great community and they treat their customers great, I have about 120+ games on my GOG shelf.

And I see them only getting bigger since they do new and release day title to these days, not only classic games.

oxiide

Distinguished
Origin is only as successful as Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and The Old Republic are. Without their captive audience, it would just be another me-too gaming service that spies on its users and lacks most of what makes Steam awesome.

viciousteletuby28

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
I'll stick to Steam until the EA servers get up to speed in my area. My EA games load in seconds and then spend up to a minute 'Connecting to EA Servers'.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I don't have an issue with Origin being what it is, Steam was in that same boat when it first launched. But them trying to be better then Steam is not like facebook and myspace. Because they both were very much close together. I will admit that i have bought an Origin game because of a lower price then steam, but of course that was an EA title, and i believe that EA is very far behind Steam in terms of the service and the selection by a very long stretch. So saying that, Origin to me right now is just a inconvenience to even have it open just so i can play BF3.. Although i do hope, and this is just false hope, when BF3 dies which it will since BF3 had a very good launch that they make a in-game menu and release a mod kit to keep it alive and going. Origin in terms of pricing and sales is too far behind steam to even consider it a contender to Steam and its sales. Maybe do some ridiculous sales, add tons of games not just from there own titles but other publisher titles and they might take off, but i see this as just a way to piss other publishers off and have them string there own platform for there own games. Just my opinion. Who knows...

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I Find it funny that he idiot enough use Myspace and facebook as an example for migration of platform. Moving between social site, re-adding friends on facebook DO NOT cost money. But Many people have huge pile of games stuck on steam now. Unless EA start offering free service to transfer all the games library people has on steam to Origin. People will still stick with Steam as long as they are doing fine.

how many of u here migrate from Myspace to Facebook "cost" you a lot of money?

edwarddc

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
"EA wants Origin to be better than Steam, comparing both platforms to MySpace and Facebook"

But, at least for now, Steam is Facebook and Origin is MySpace. Steam is cheaper, easier, sexier, and has a much better catalog.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]edwarddc[/nom]"EA wants Origin to be better than Steam, comparing both platforms to MySpace and Facebook"But, at least for now, Steam is Facebook and Origin is MySpace. Steam is cheaper, easier, sexier, and has a much better catalog.[/citation]

Not to mention buggy when i first used Origin to buy starwars the old republic it did not realize that i actually bought it and would not give me a game code.
Although EA fixed the problem this should have been tested more before rolling it out to the public.
Buying a digital copy of the game should be cheaper that"s the whole idea of digital distribution.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]STEAM has me steamed too. I picked up a game of the Fallout Ultimate Edition cheap to play this winter and now own two copies, one of them is standard. Can I sell it? NO THIS is all about DRM and stopping used software sales. Never mind I was just going to give the game away to a friend. F*ck both of the services.[/citation]
Do what everyone else does and sell a toothpick on eBay, with the game as a gift item free

tehTyrant

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Also like to mention some pc games coming out will now be $70 ie (Medal of Honor Warfighter). Really EA?[/citation]

That is the Deluxe version. The Limited Edition version, which I assume is the normal version is $59.99.

I don't like Origin that much either, they don't really have many good sales, there's not very big library and the software itself is sluggish, locks up a lot and sometimes you can't even connect. Steam is somewhat slow as well, but not nearly as bad a Origin.

Origin is meh right now, but I am not gonna let a gripes with it get in the way with playing some games I like with my friends.

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Ah, but Steam is a memory-hogging DRM-like service with an offline mode that doesn't work reliably! How is it possible that they have become so popular?

EA, if you want Origin to become successful, you're going to have to either cut DRM, cut prices or offer loads of bonus content to make up for the first two (sounds like GOG, anyone?). The only reason I use Steam is because it's ridiculously cheap (during the sales).

And please, if you're so stubborn on 'we can do DLC / our own game distribution better than Steam' then actually do it. I'm still (after what? 2 years?) waiting for an ME2 DLC sale. The original Alice on Origin would be nice too, considering you didn't forget to give the console owners a copy.

fenix1186

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I just started getting into these download clients, but steam always has great deals. Low prices to compensate for not getting an actual disc w a manual. EA/Origin always charges full price. It's as bad as going to best buy. The game is 3 years old? Oh we'll sell it for 39.99 instead of 49.99. Yeah bite me EA, I'll keep going on steam.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]AsTheDeath[/nom]Ah, but Steam is a memory-hogging DRM-like service with an offline mode that doesn't work reliably! How is it possible that they have become so popular?[/citation]

Because apart from a few minor issues the client and the DRM generally works. Unfortunately for many users of Origin and BF3, it just doesn't work. I, for one, have never managed to get the game to launch. It just runs as a background process that doesn't even die if I close it through Battlelog (Origin's more evil sibling). Supposedly the solution is anything from re-installing the game with AV and firewall disabled right through to changing BIOS settings related to the CPU (to start a game?!).

Or I could just play one of the countless games I have on Steam that seem to work pretty well even if they are loaded with DRM. Except for Riven... that doesn't work so well, but it is 15 years old.

G

I'm sorry EA, you are not Facebook nor MySpace. You are barely Yahoo 360 (and even that is a stretch).

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The problem is EA is already the most HATED company.
Dark image, no low prices, push exclusivity for having people on Origin.
Scrapped the Mass Effect 3 ending and offert a DLC fix. (seem a cheap fix to me)
And SUPPORT!! Ha! They lies to me several times.
Doesn't seem right to me.
They offert nothing except EA games... and EA games aren't always the best.
As long people will remember EA dark past, this also mean change MANY THINGS like their CEO or Origin being use as a business cash cow, Origin won't success.

In the other hand, Steam offert low prices, summer sales, and they work on DOA (Free to play) and on port Left 4 Dead 2 to Linux!!!. Very different! but they are in the same business.

Status
Not open for further replies.