EA Copies Ubisoft's Restrictive Internet DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I suspect it won't be long before a third-party solution to the problem is developed. This authentication mechanism will only inconvenience the average non-technical legitimate gamers.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
that's why after buying C&C Generals and Zero Hour, C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath, C&C Red Alert 3 and Uprising, I WON'T be buying C&C 4 eventhough I would LOVE to see what happens at the end of Kane's Wrath...

I don't want to receive permission from EA when and where I can play games I purchased legitimately...

is it THAT hard for EA executives to understand that people WILL buy if they want...

only thing this authentication doing is inconvenience legit buyers....

as they say, locks only keep honest people out....

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So EA cant get past completely getting away from C&C style of play. They also have to go and make it so you have to have an internet connection too.

Well at my university, they block game ports. Thanks EA, I guess you do not care about college students.

squarewheel

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Isn't that the definition of Digital Rights Management? How are they not managing your right to the digital content?

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
If a gaming company wants to copy something another company is doing for the good, then by all means. If company A does something so stupid that half the community is ready to boycott them, that is not the time to follow in their footsteps.

It absolutely amazes me at how disconnected upper echelon folks at gaming companies can be when it comes to working with their community.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
oh my god, the companies don't get it.

WE ARE NOT IDIOTS!!! the only people who might actually buy your crap about this not being DRM are the mainstream users who don't know/care about DRM in the first place!

the people you are talking to, the people complaining about DRM ARE NOT MAINSTREAM KNOW NOTHINGS!! stop treating us like IDIOTS!!

this sounds closer to the steam system than ubisoft. but you STILL need an off-line mode!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"You can create multiple Commander Personas however, so if you and your brothers each want your own Persona account with experience, etc, you can do that. Just has to be under the same Master EA account as in our past games. "

does this mean more than one person can play the game at a time? that would be an improvement on most steam games!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
No matt. I doubt that's what it means. It simply means you won't be sharing exp. and things of that nature. Actually most games have that in their own little way. Different characters.. etc. It wouldn't surpise me one bit that only one person can play at a time. Hell I'd be shocked if I was wrong, and then might let their drm slide.

basilh72

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This is DRM!!! EA is just playing with semantics. Just like I have boycotted Ubisoft I will now boycott EA. Not just this game, but all their products. I play on-line from home but travel too often to places with no internet access. I need games that do not require on-line access. I can understand some “non-DRM” like this for games that are on-line only but for games that have game play that is not on-line only this is more restrictive than other forms of DRM. DOWN WITH UBISOFT AND NOW EA TOO!!!

imageraiter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
No reason to care anyways, no one will be buying this piece of crap called CNC 4. I should call it Command 4 because where is the conquer?

Garbage game.

G

I have bought every C&C disk up to Red Alert 3, to include all expansion packs. I gave my hard earned money to them because I liked their product. I had planned on buying this one to, that is until now. Why is it that the stupid people think you are the stupid ones and will continue to give them your hard earned dollars when they don't trust you? As far as I know every version of DRM has been hacked or cracked. If someone wants your stuff bad enough they will find a way to take it. At the same time someone that likes your product and has paid for it over and over again will be insulted by your DRM scam to play a game the way you want them to and not the way they want to.

Even though I used to Like EA's products, I now hope they fall flat on the A$$. I don't care what they say this is still DRM and they will not be getting my dollars this time.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
LoL I like the game and don't care about the login thing either. It's good to know that the game won't end when a connection is lost though. Multiplayer is what really counts, why would someone want to buy the game and play it once with their friends in like months. There are plenty of people out there, and it makes strategies more diverse. Well time to play it.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Once they crack this new wave of DRM we'll have 2-3 years before they figure out it doesn't work. Next it'll be encrypted thumb drives that you play the game off of

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Hate_DRM[/nom]I don't care what they say this is still DRM and they will not be getting my dollars this time.[/citation]

You know, if you had really bought all those titles, you would be well aware none of them have any offline play value. Even the first C&C was a turd in single player, and modem vs modem play was the only way to play after a few hours of exposure to the weak AI tactics.

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
FAIL

Someone will find a fix for this. You can set something on your network to make the software think it's connected to the internet, but it depends what it's looking for when it connects to EA's servers. Either way this is not the end of piracy.

Companies need to realize that their price-point is wrong. They need to sell things much cheaper. Of course the Harvard Grads (who've had everything handed to them in life anyway because they're high-society) will argue that piracy keeps prices high. LMFAO!!! No it doesn't if more people bought their products they wouldn't lower the price they'd pay themselves more. More pay for the CEO that's it!!!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
seems to be happening more and more lately, and its shameful.

not allowing a person to play a game they bought, because they don't have an internet connection, is ridiculous.
what about those of us outside america? where stable Internet connections are very hard to come by?

this whole DRM thing is becoming very disheartening. and i truly hope they learn a lesson before PC gaming dies.

let it be said, that its not piracy destroying PC games, its anti-piracy DRM.

bluemax2006

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Two points. The cool side about this is being able to play the game on any computer. The disappointing side of this is the need for the internet connection. I also travel and have found the internet requirement so annoying that I tend not to buy games that require it anymore.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
So no single-player missions while traveling. That sucks.

"An analyst with Electronic Entertainment Design and Research said that 90 percent of the year-on-year decline in January’s U.S. videogame sales is attributable to the flagging music genre."

Obviously, the other 10 must be all piracy, not the lack of anything actually new or any other factors.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Disconnect internet. Pop in the disc. Install the game. Pop out the disc. Play. Uninstall. Do the same in another computer. Play. Now that is what I call no DRM.

Status
Not open for further replies.