EA: No Patches for Battlefield 3 Outside Origin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry EA (not really) but you can take Origin and shove it where the sun don't shine. I am not getting BF3. BF2 still does fine, too bad you had to ruin 3.

G

Hmmm... EA disbands Origin Systems in 2004, then resurrects the Origin name for their digital distribution platform in 2011 and uses, for their logo, a modernized version of the Origin Systems logo.

DICE you may want to watch your back...

mistral

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
all that asside, what the hell is a 3.5gb patch fixing? did they just make battlefield 4? did the patch add 200 ish maps? tell me because i seriously want to know, what could have been patched in 3.5gb? did tessellation get added or other dx11 features?

The patch is that size because it includes the Back To Karkand maps, future downloadable content will be separate from patches. The Origin and Battlelog features are really badly implemented, the Battlelog really only caters for stats fanatics and encourages stat padding.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I decided to buy this when it went on 50% off a few days ago. I chose to have a physical copy shipped instead of a digital download thinking I would get out of this Origin crap. Not true. Then after I go through all of the mess, I find the stupid game needs a web browser to even launch and requires me to add a plugin to my web browser. Probably just so they can show more ads. This has to be the crappiest game initialization I have ever been through. I can't understand how this game got such high marks in all the reviews. These reviews need to start weighing in all the excess minutia such as DRM, Origin, Games for Windows Live, etc.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No, that's EXACTLY what I don't want... I judge the game by the game itself, not by implementation of DRM and price.

Its unfortunate that they will not even try to compromise with valve to get t on steam (still don't care who's fault it is), but the lack of being on steam is the reason I haven't bought it yet

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
That's why I didn't buy BF3... I wanted it... But I want it through Steam. All of my games are through Steam. Just my preference is all. If I can't get it through Steam, often I don't bother. And I can't stand Origin's system... I had two games through that and bought them again through Steam on a super-sale I disliked it so much... So, thanks but no BF3 for me until/if they ever back off on Origin only...

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Is it just me, or does EA want to take back the "worst developer company" title from Activision? Modern Warfare 3 managed to set new bars for stupidity and effort to make PC gamers hate them, and at first, it looked as if Battlefield 3 might've come through for the plurality of us who prefer to play on PCs, not consoles.

Of course, forcing everything through Origin is a sort of "one step forward, two steps back" deal: as mentioned, this isn't "the same sort of un-earned hate Steam got," since Steam allowed ISPs to mirror major downloads.

And of course, I sincerely hope that EA isn't "concerned about piracy" here; it's pretty demonstrated that on the PC, the level of piracy problems one company gets tends to be proportionate to the degree of effort to go through to stamp it out; this is likely due to virtually all anti-piracy measures causing their customers (or prospective customers) to hate them.
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Except if you complain about it on their forums, they'll just ban your account, which is standard operating procedure for them.[/citation]
That seems to be standard operating procedure on the Internet anyway: ban anyone who paid for your product and has the gall to COMPLAIN about it. Oh, and try to get takedown notices on other sites where people also vent. After all, you can just silence everyone and all will be good, right?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
This shows that Valve weren't unreasonable in the EA/Valve dispute. EA simply want more (undue) control over gamers and so they kept BF3 on origin no matter how you buy it and now this.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ryan714[/nom]Origin arrived way too late to become a relevant digital distribution platform. Similar to zune vs ipod.[/citation]
And I hope it meets a similar fate as Zune. I don't want to install origin if I buy any games in future from EA (I have preordered M3 at least).

pcxperp

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
The reason that the patch is so big is because it contains most of the files needed for the "Back to Karkand" DLC that is about to be released. EA thought it would be good idea to pre-cache the DLC content inside the new patch.[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Metered access? How awful. But then what the hell kind of game - especially a recently launched one - needs 3.6GB patches? Sounds like they didn't actually finish it until after it was already on sale.[/citation]

G

I love it how you have a "play now with out updates" option. And it doesn't work at all. AT ALL!!!!

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Metered access? How awful. But then what the hell kind of game - especially a recently launched one - needs 3.6GB patches? Sounds like they didn't actually finish it until after it was already on sale.[/citation]

The 3.6 GB was mostly the Back to Karkand maps. The previous patches were around 200 MB. The 3.6 GB patch came out December 6th, the day Back to Karkand came out; except Sony paid a ton of money to have it released a week early on PS3. So actually, it was ready for PC and is sitting on the hard drive but won't be playable until the 13th due to Sony paying so much to have it released exclusively.

G

This is just one of the reasons I will never buy a game from ea, LONG LIVE STEAM,VAVLE

Never again.
Ea you were never wanted and will not be missed.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]enkichild[/nom]don't buy the DLC.[/citation]

For awesome new maps and vehicles? The Karkand maps are far better than any of the current maps as are as size. If you had done any research or snooping around, you could have easily gotten the limited edition from various sites for under $40 (the limited edition comes with the DLC / Karkand maps which cost $15) before the game came out.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
The worst part is no in game VOIP. You have to use a 3rd party voip service, and then your squad gets split up on to other teams ALL the time. Making team gameplay a pain in the ass with more than 2 people. Multiplayer.

Ball Dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS