EA Using Humble Origin Bundle 2 To Promote Its Origin Gaming App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarman5k

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
It all goes to charity anyway.

"Thanks to Electronic Arts and Origin forgoing profits from this bundle, all of the proceeds that would ordinarily go to them are instead going to charity. "

Also I dont understand the vitriol towards Origin, yes its another platform and yes its EA but the system itself after some early troubles seems alright. Its quick at least.

TNT27

Distinguished
Anyone else just hate when a game requires steam/origin to play?
Or even worse you have to be connected online to even play locally?
Or the lack of LAN support for newer AAA games.

Or like in MW2 where they took server browsing away, and you get auto thrown into modded hacked lobbies getting banned, and steam say you were hacking and cant change it.

My rant goes on about these things...

Steam and origin and all those things are great for getting a game and all, and to help prevent hacking, but just give me the choice to run the game without any background crap going, just check the game files when connecting to online servers is all thats needed.

ApertureKills

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
"Generous," except that 90% of the games were already available, full and 100% free, through Origin's "On The House" service. Dead Space 2, Peggle, Wing Commander, and Sim City 2000, to name a few.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
It all goes to charity anyway.

"Thanks to Electronic Arts and Origin forgoing profits from this bundle, all of the proceeds that would ordinarily go to them are instead going to charity. "

Also I dont understand the vitriol towards Origin, yes its another platform and yes its EA but the system itself after some early troubles seems alright. Its quick at least.

i dont play many ea games, so i barely open origin but when i do, it always requires a patch for my to add a new game, and than it never remembers my username and password, so i always have to look that crap up again...

i hate origin for convenience reasons, not platform.
i also dont trust ea period... all my origin games have been free or massive discounts from promo deals.

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Part of the problem is Origin very buggy. It's built-in web browser could take down the client, which in turn forced you out of the game. Never have had that problem with Steam. I've seen the Steam browser quit working, it just restarts the steam partition, but no impact on the game what so ever.

CRod

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
this was perfect for me. I didnt have any of these games on my PC and only PvZ GW on my PS4. I was always interested in dragon age but never enough to pay full price for it. Paid 10 bucks for the set. I used to love command and conquer that the first game i ever played against someone online (red alert is the one i played if i remember correctly)
Also there is no option that you have to make sure is at zero for ea its just two slide rules one for charity and one for hb tip.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
The good part of this bundle; the games are at a cheap price. The bad part; a good chunk of them were free through Origin at one point or another. Now I have 2 copies of those games in my Origin folder.

f-14

Distinguished
2 online games have ruined online gaming forever for me " ping 3,654K " or " server is down " " we don't like the way players are playing our game, therefore we are changing ti to be EXACTLY LIKE WORLD OF WAR CRAFT because there's 10's of millions of players playing that game so piss on everything else and every one who doesn't play WORLD OF WAR CRAFT all your games now being patched to be WORLD OF WARCRAFT " " newest client required inorder to play, please wait while 12GB patch downloads = ISP you are over your monthly 100GB limit you are now being throttled to 0.5 MB/s until the next billing cycle (& you subscribe to netflix or some other media steaming service, heck even CBS.com)

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
At least this is still generating some money for charity. Just be sure, when setting your price at checkout, to send $0 of it to EA.

Dude, so you think EA making zero money will lead to better games down the road. This hate of corporations has just gotten absurd. They are trying to make money, no more no less than you are or anyone else.

You know that artist that did drawings for the game, yeah he has a family and EA has to pay him money, i know this is like shocking news here.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Dude, so you think EA making zero money will lead to better games down the road. This hate of corporations has just gotten absurd. They are trying to make money, no more no less than you are or anyone else.

I want better business practices more than I want better games. I don't support their decision to make all their games DRM-laiden, micro-transaction-infested garbage heaps. So, until they start doing business properly, they'll see no money from me.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The first origin bundle was better. I got most of these games for free when I was beta testing origin. Still prefer Steam.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

For me it's Blizzard. It's the only company to have my credit card compromised twice, then account banned because a hacker got into it. And no matter how much trying to explain to them (or threatening them for that matter regarding identity theft) resolved the issue.

Kevin Harrelson

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I chipped in a couple of dollars just so that I could get Dragon Age, which is ALSO available on Steam in this package. After being forced to install the bloody abortion that is Origin just to play Mass Effect 3, I swore that I would never install Origin again.

Kevin Harrelson

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
After being forced to install Origin to play Mass Effect 3 a couple of years ago, I swore "never again" after having it lock up on me, not authorize my game, etc. It typically took two or three reboots before I could get a session of ME3 going. I tried un-installing and re-installing multiple times. I will never install that piece of crap again. Fool me one, same on you. Fool me twice...

I buy mostly DRM-free games from places like Humble and GOG. If I absolutely have to have DRM, at least Steam seems to do it with the least trouble. Origin has caused me nothing but trouble.

Hello Everyone,

Glad you are enjoying my latest article, as usual. Just wanted to clear up one thing that some seem to be confused about. Those of you who are familiar with Humble Bundle probably know that you can adjust how much of the money you pay goes where. The game developer can choose how much goes to them, but you can change it using three sliders. This time however, EA did something most do not and chose not to take any of money. That is why there are only two sliders instead of three. Humble Bundle takes a small portion of cash, but Humble Bundle actually makes most of its money off games that aren't sold in bundles. It is good usually to send a fair amount to the developers when possible as that encourages them to participate in future Humble Bundle sales, and it still makes a sizable amount of money for charities.

For example, Humble Origin Bundle 2 currently reports over 2.1 million dollars has been raised. When I purchased the bundle the Humble Tip was only around $0.60, the price varies as I said, but assuming around that percentage of the cost goes to Humble Bundle and the rest goes to charity, roughly 88% makes it to charity. This adds up to over 1.84 million so far being donated with five days to go.

You might not like EA or Origin, but that's a pretty large donation and it wouldn't be possible for Humble Bundle to raise this money for charity if not for the game developers putting their games in the sale at such a cheap price. Having some people try Origin isn't so much to ask in return.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
Slightly disappointed that five of the games were free not too long ago, Dragon age origins, peggle, bejeweled, simcity 2000, and wing commander 3 are all games that I have not payed a cent for on, That being said there is still a number of good games even if it is through the buggy origin client.

Status
Not open for further replies.