BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Yes, I read the memory FAQ. Very Good!

However, what I would like to know-- can ECC memory be used in place of non-ECC memory? Or does ECC require specific support for it by the motherboard or what ever? I have a Chaintech VFN4 mb with 2x512 Kingston value RAM. If I go to 2x1024 I'd like to know if I can go the ECC route. But then the question arises: is ECC memory worth it?

Overclocking is not in my plans.

-Bob

holy_cow

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
in an older PC I used a couple of 512MB ECC ram (SDRAM lol)
in a normal mobo (no ecc) and they worked fine...

dont know about new mobos however...
maybe it depends on each mobo...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
ECC is mainly used for servers and other mission critical applications that requires extra security and stability. Non-ECC are for regular use like for gaming and home pc. ECC rams are a bit slower since it works with extra steps thats prevents errors and are a bit expensive in most cases. You can use both in a Non-ECC motherboard, but you have to use an ECC supported motherboard to use the ECC feature of the ECC rams.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
ECC requires support from the motherboard. If your looking into building a gaming rig, don't buy ECC ram. It generally had higher latencies than non-ecc. ECC (error-correction code) was developed for servers and workstations and have no benefit in desktop PCs.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Ah. So ECC does require motherboard support to have ECC actually work.

Well, that ends that idea.

Thanks, folks.

-Bob