[SOLVED] ECS H61H2-M2 (V1.0) cooling compability

RealRemus

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Hello everybody,
I am upgrading my i3 3220 to i7 2600k in few days. Also I am planing to OC the i7 but my PC currently contains only the Intel stock cooler. My plan was to buy the Cryorig H7 cooler with 2 of the Corsairs SP120 fans. The case space seems fine and shoudn't cause any problems. However, I am no so sure about my mobo compabiliy. Futhermore, the connectors are the ones that worry me becouse I don't know if I have the wanted conectors and enought of them. My mobo is the ECS H61H2-M2 (V1.0) and these are it's connectors: https://prnt.sc/ng6pqh . Could somebody please tell me if there will be any issues when adding cooler and fans?
Thank you in advance!

Solution
You'll certainly want an exhaust fan if you are going to be running an i7. An intake won't hurt.

The key there is non-turbo. You will probably be able to lower the base multiplier, but not increase it beyond what the CPU supports. Having an unlocked multiplier lets you play with the maximum turbo speed of the CPU but you must pair it with an overclocking motherboard.

i7-2700k = 3.5Ghz base 3.9Ghz boost(turbo)
i3-3220 = 3.3Ghz base, no boost

If you haven't already purchased the CPU, I suggest going ahead and trying to find an i7-3770k to get the most out of that board.

Depending on what you were paying, you can get something like a Ryzen 3 2200G, motherboard, and 8GB of ram for just over $200. That would be a little faster even than...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you won't be able to overclock much with that board, but a decent cooler is not a bad idea in any situation. The unlocked multiplier of the CPU shouldn't be accessible to you on an H61 board, but you might be able to adjust the BCLK slightly to get another 100Mhz or so.

You should have support for any LGA115x cooler. (LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1150, LGA1151)

RealRemus

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Well, you won't be able to overclock much with that board, but a decent cooler is not a bad idea in any situation. The unlocked multiplier of the CPU shouldn't be accessible to you on an H61 board, but you might be able to adjust the BCLK slightly to get another 100Mhz or so.

You should have support for any LGA115x cooler. (LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1150, LGA1151)
I think that I should be able to overclock. View: https://imgur.com/a/xEBE2Z6#28nIg4a
But I am not sure if my mobo has enough connectors ( 4-pin, 3-pin). Or is that never the problem?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can always get fan splitters for two reasonably normal fans and run pairs off of each header. Or wire fans directly to the power supply as in the days of old. You don't actually need push/pull on air coolers, it only makes a small difference in overall temperatures. As long as you have decent case airflow that is.

That may be informational only. Even if you install an unlocked processor that isn't an unlocked board. It may just show the base or boost multiplier of the i7-2700k and not let you change it.

P67 or z77 would be the chipsets to use for overclocking on unlocked Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips.

RealRemus

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
Currently I have no fans in the case. No intake or outtake, so I thought of buyning extra 2 fans. Not for the cooler.
And the main reason why I thought that this mobo could OC is this line in the manual: CPU Ratio (30) This item allows users to control non turbo CPU ratio. http://prntscr.com/ngedx1

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You'll certainly want an exhaust fan if you are going to be running an i7. An intake won't hurt.

The key there is non-turbo. You will probably be able to lower the base multiplier, but not increase it beyond what the CPU supports. Having an unlocked multiplier lets you play with the maximum turbo speed of the CPU but you must pair it with an overclocking motherboard.

If you haven't already purchased the CPU, I suggest going ahead and trying to find an i7-3770k to get the most out of that board.

Depending on what you were paying, you can get something like a Ryzen 3 2200G, motherboard, and 8GB of ram for just over $200. That would be a little faster even than 2nd and 3rd gen Intel. (And if you bargain hunted for used components, who knows)

Solution

RealRemus

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

Depending on what you were paying, you can get something like a Ryzen 3 2200G, motherboard, and 8GB of ram for just over $200. That would be a little faster even than 2nd and 3rd gen Intel. (And if you bargain hunted for used components, who knows)
Thank you for advice but I already bought it. I had a limited budget so I found i7 2700k for cheap in range of 2600k pricing. I will put it on a Intel stock cooler first to see if that is the case. I will update you when I try it.