Question Edit VRAM size for a fake GT 610 ?

Mar 22, 2024
Hi, I bought an Afox GT 610 2GB graphics card a few years ago and have been using it.
Some time ago I found out that this graphics card is a fake and the actual VRAM is only 512MB, and since I bought it, it has been crashing sometimes.
Also, its graphics processor is G84, which is fakely written as GF119!
Please help me to show the actual size of the graphics card by modifying the BIOS.
Thank you very much!
This image is the graphics chip and VRAMs and the BIOS file.

the Board Image

The BIOS File

Last edited:
Solution
I'm glad that my post made you happy but I'm sorry that it didn't solve the problem.

There is a problem with the GPU being a G84. Here is a pic of an AFOX "GT 610":
20210927095751293.png

If the pic doesn't load for you, click here.
I verified on their site that the outputs on this card are VGA, DVI-I and HDMI.

The problem with this configuration, from what I can tell, is that no G84-based card has an HDMI port. They all have a combination of DVI, VGA and S-Video. Having different outputs would definitely change the BIOS so that could be why they're not working. I've looked at all of the G84 cards and none of them have an HDMI port. The only way that this could...
Mar 22, 2024
Editing the BIOS does not change the physical characteristics.

It will still crash.
Yes, I know, I said it wrong.
I mean, I want the operating system and driver to recognize the real size of the graphics card by editing the BIOS (512 mb) and not the fake size (2G) to avoid crashes.
Sorry if my English is bad

Mar 22, 2024

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This graphics card is fake and only the operating system shows its size as 2 GB, when the amount of capacity usage goes above 512 MB, everything breaks down and the driver crashes.

Fair enough. Im guessing you're seeing chip info with Gpuz?

Techpowerup has a list of cards using G84 chip. Could be a Quadro? You know, companies binning these cards for upgrades and someone has other ideas.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-g84.g56

Reactions: safecv
Mar 22, 2024
Fair enough. Im guessing you're seeing chip info with Gpuz?

Techpowerup has a list of cards using G84 chip. Could be a Quadro? You know, companies binning these cards for upgrades and someone has other ideas.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-g84.g56
Yes, one of the tools I use is GPU-Z, although GPU-Z also shows the size of the card as 2048 MB, which is probably due to the same fake BIOS.
My card has three ports, VGA, HDMI, DVI, so I don't think it is from the QUADRO series.

Mar 22, 2024
GF119-300-A1 is GT610.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gf119s.g93

Where did you get that G84 name?
Yes the GPU of the Original GT610 card should be GF119, but unfortunately the GPU of my fake card is G84.
It is interesting, as you can see in the picture of the first post, the writing on the graphics processor of the GF119 card is probably done with a laser.
But if you look more closely, you will notice that the overall appearance of the graphics processor is similar to the G84.
Also, the GPU-Z software shows the GPU model as G84.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think it's smash time. Let this go i reckon, is it really worth your time? i mean you've already flashed it numerous times and it's not like you're out of pocket that much from it.

What's your system specs btw this card is associated with?

Mar 22, 2024
Think it's smash time. Let this go i reckon, is it really worth your time? i mean you've already flashed it numerous times and it's not like you're out of pocket that much from it.

What's your system specs btw this card is associated with?
I know that this graphic card is not powerful and does not have a high price.
But for some reason, I want to be able to use this graphics card well.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Nothing really uses this "well." It's a GPU for running Windows when you don't have integrated graphics. You can find used ones for $10 or so, so it's *really* not worth your time and effort at this point with none of the plausible BIOS files working.

Mar 22, 2024
Nothing really uses this "well." It's a GPU for running Windows when you don't have integrated graphics. You can find used ones for $10 or so, so it's *really* not worth your time and effort at this point with none of the plausible BIOS files working.
you are right
This card is a souvenir and that's why I try to keep it and use it. All I want is for someone to help me manipulate the bios file to reduce the VRAM size to a real amount so that it works stably.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
you are right
This card is a souvenir and that's why I try to keep it and use it. All I want is for someone to help me manipulate the bios file to reduce the VRAM size to a real amount so that it works stably.

This may be the first time I've ever seen a cheap, fake GPU described as a souvenir.

The BIOS option is almost certainly not available now.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
ok, Do you have another solution for me?

Yes, replace the GPU. You're likely out of options for reviving this fake GPU.

It's not that we need the problem explained to us; we understand quite well what it the problem is and it's a very common problem when people fall for scams. Flashing the right BIOS is almost always the only possible solution to use the "real" GPU and quite often, even that will not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66 and safecv
Yes the GPU of the Original GT610 card should be GF119, but unfortunately the GPU of my fake card is G84.
It is interesting, as you can see in the picture of the first post, the writing on the graphics processor of the GF119 card is probably done with a laser.
But if you look more closely, you will notice that the overall appearance of the graphics processor is similar to the G84.
Also, the GPU-Z software shows the GPU model as G84.
No. It's not so easy to fake writings on gpu die.
It most likely is real GT 610, but with 512MB option.
GPU-Z is reading info from card BIOS (fake altered BIOS).

Flash appropriate BIOS into it - GT610/512MB.

Can you show screenshot from GPU-Z ?

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
alr i have several questions but im gonna lower it to 3 things:
1. What in tarnation are you doing with a fake gt 610
2. changing the bios will def brick the gpu eventually especially on this old of a gpu.
3. what are the system specs for this pc?

Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can do. I always recommend that people buy their video cards based on hardware spec because the GPU and VRAM a card is born with is the same GPU and VRAM it dies with. Software features can always be added and/or updated so they're less of a selling point to me.

If that card was born with 512MB, I'm afraid that it will die with 512MB.

Mar 22, 2024
No. It's not so easy to fake writings on gpu die.
It most likely is real GT 610, but with 512MB option.
GPU-Z is reading info from card BIOS (fake altered BIOS).

Flash appropriate BIOS into it - GT610/512MB.

Can you show screenshot from GPU-Z ?
Thank you.
This a Screenshot from GPU-Z:
GPU-Z Screen Shot
I have tried many bios of the original gt610 but none of them show the image.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Mar 22, 2024
alr i have several questions but im gonna lower it to 3 things:
1. What in tarnation are you doing with a fake gt 610
2. changing the bios will def brick the gpu eventually especially on this old of a gpu.
3. what are the system specs for this pc?
1-I don't do heavy work, sometimes I do light 2D or 3D design,which is also done with iGPU but slower.
2- I am ready to take risks
3- system with 6gb ram & 4core CPU