[SOLVED] Egpu with all 16 lanes?

bernard1991

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hey guys I’m planning on building a modern gaming pc into a commadore 64 set, to sell to anyone who wants this custom system, I can source everything but biggest holdback is the gpu seeing as the main part of the c64 (the keyboard and hardware housing) is super limmited on space that’ll be needed for fans to cool the installed cpu it will have to have its gpu fitted into the c64 monitor modified to house a computer lcd or led monitor instead of the electron tube and one or two gpus over sli/ crossfire

my question is how can I take over full x16 pice lanes over a cable to the modded monitor?

Also would like to use the suggested method to offer dual gpu with sli so two egpu cables?

And if anyone’s wondering what about the psu again that’ll be external with a mod to the cables of a fully modular psu, something I have done with great success squoze the mobo power supply’s down to a 12pin 10amp rated per pin aviation connector that has a securing nut and the gpu and +3.3, 5, 12v supply’s into a 10pin aviation connector this setup has been used in my gaming pc in original Xbox build that was put through 36hours of solid gaming without fault

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Bernie

Solution
No, M.2 to PCIe adapters do not offer 16 PCIe lanes, the M.2 interface itself does not.

Again, you can get all kinds of PCIe cabling, from simple extensions for vertical mounts, to chassis that require it to fit GPUs. Just shop around. During the heavy days of GPU mining these things were extremely commonplace. Many were only 1x PCIe, but there are many that allow for all 16 lanes. Also commonly used by people who do PC desks with everything laid out flat, or wall mounts.

bernard1991

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Plenty of x16 PCIe extension cables on the market. Would mean not really being able to take the monitor away from the computer though, unless you wanted the cable to be visible.

I think the monitors and c64 were rather close to eachother anyway I’m just trying to find the neatest solution I see some of these kits for egpu on laptops, don’t mind using pcie to mini pcie adapter but do they offer all 16 lanes? And they do look rather neat

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, M.2 to PCIe adapters do not offer 16 PCIe lanes, the M.2 interface itself does not.

Again, you can get all kinds of PCIe cabling, from simple extensions for vertical mounts, to chassis that require it to fit GPUs. Just shop around. During the heavy days of GPU mining these things were extremely commonplace. Many were only 1x PCIe, but there are many that allow for all 16 lanes. Also commonly used by people who do PC desks with everything laid out flat, or wall mounts.

Solution
Hey guys I’m planning on building a modern gaming pc into a commadore 64 set, to sell to anyone who wants this custom system, I can source everything but biggest holdback is the gpu seeing as the main part of the c64 (the keyboard and hardware housing) is super limmited on space that’ll be needed for fans to cool the installed cpu it will have to have its gpu fitted into the c64 monitor modified to house a computer lcd or led monitor instead of the electron tube and one or two gpus over sli/ crossfire

my question is how can I take over full x16 pice lanes over a cable to the modded monitor?

Also would like to use the suggested method to offer dual gpu with sli so two egpu cables?

And if anyone’s wondering what about the psu again that’ll be external with a mod to the cables of a fully modular psu, something I have done with great success squoze the mobo power supply’s down to a 12pin 10amp rated per pin aviation connector that has a securing nut and the gpu and +3.3, 5, 12v supply’s into a 10pin aviation connector this setup has been used in my gaming pc in original Xbox build that was put through 36hours of solid gaming without fault

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Bernie

Using a commodore box to house a modern system, neat idea.

Selling it with an external power supply or video card, not nearly as neat of an idea.

But you can buy a riser board or extension cable for PCIe to use, people use them all the time if they want to swap position of the video card in a case. A cable long enough to go from computer to monitor should be OK for length.

bernard1991

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Using a commodore box to house a modern system, neat idea.

Selling it with an external power supply or video card, not nearly as neat of an idea.

But you can buy a riser board or extension cable for PCIe to use, people use them all the time if they want to swap position of the video card in a case. A cable long enough to go from computer to monitor should be OK for length.
I know due to the small form factors of both the Xbox and the commodore There is simply no room for a decent power supply Spent weeks looking finding something to then find a power brick Big enough is virtually nonexistent plus literally no room in the Xbox for one atall so the only solution was external using a multi pin connector that is screwed in place to keep the connection securely fastened at all times as for the commodore not having the same headroom to fit 80mm fans it’ll have to have intake and exhaust in the bottom thus needing to rise its foot pads to allow airflow, I’m still in the planning stage with it and it’ll stay there untill I’m happy with the design and until some one want one, only way even just the mobo housing will be built and tested with a test board and cpu is if I ever get a cheap c64 case as these old boys are fetching a fair bit on eBay at the moment

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find it right now, but pretty sure there is a company manufacturing new C64 style ATX cases already (to avoid copyright I think they made a hybrid Vic 20/C64 design. I know there are some raspberry PI emulators out there and bespoke chassis for them that look like C64s.

Certainly a market for it, but most people would probably just do their own if they have that level of interest.