Elon Musk: Apple Likely to Lose to Google in Smartphone Market Without Steve Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Comparing iOS to Android as it pertains to smartphone market share is ludicrous. iOS is on what 4 different devices and Android is on several hundred. Take the 4 top selling Android smartphones then compare those to iOS. No contest on a level playing field. iOS wins by a landslide.[/citation]

did you forget to read the article about Samsung S3 outselling Apple most selling phone, iPhone 4s?

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If MS can get their crap together, maybe they won't miss this window of opportunity, and maybe spur some innovation on all fronts. Right now its still the same old price vs popularity contest.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If MS can get their crap together, maybe they won't miss this window of opportunity, and maybe spur some innovation on all fronts. Right now its still the same old price vs popularity contest.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It won't be only because of Steve Jobs, but it will also be because of his legacy of being a stubborn ack and keeping Apple crap closed system...
This nearly killed apple back in the 90's, it can and will happen again... Just because it got lucky and found a gadget niche means nothing if they can't get on the open and dynamic bandwagon.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Sorry, I doubt apple would be doing any better at this moment if Jobs was still around. Android is winning for many reasons, but the main one is price. All in all apple does not and chooses not compete on price. There are countless android phones that are free with contract that are actually really good phones.So people need to stop making excuses, apple is failing because they are doing what they have always done. If anything they would be doing worse with jobs, there would be no 4 inch screen or 7 inch ipad.

Apple's new processor is just a refined processor someone else designed. Their GPU technology is nearly unmatched, but not because of innovation. It is due to a locked eco-system and oh, lets not forget they keep increasing the performance by increasing the number of GPU cores, not necessarily better cores just more. With one hand they insult other ARM manufactures for just increasing core count while touting their superior GPU technology.

As for the first comment, they are comparing by OS because that has it is done. You can't just decide to change the metric because it doesn't fit well anymore. Android comes in every shape, size, and network. Comes in big screens, little screen, huge screens, with keyboards, with SD slots, without keyboards, without SD slots, with LTE, without LTE, some have WiMax, single core, duel cores, quad cores, and at every price point imaginable. One thing I find funny, is the old iphone was the magic/perfect size, right?. If that is so, why don't they make the perfect size with the best hardware? Why is it if I want the best hardware iphone has to offer I have to buy the big screen?

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
History repeats itself again.

Just replace Google with Microsoft and RIM with IBM in the OS wars of the early '90s-2000.

Apple comes up with some basic UI. Hugely popular at first, but only runs on select hardware.

Google, at about the same time, comes out with a similar system. Doesn't work as well, but runs on EVERYTHING, and apps are easy to port over. No license needed for development and very open- runs more languages than Apple does. UI isn't as consistent as Apple's, and the system, in its early years, is unstable and buggy.

Apple then sues over basic UI and 'look-and-feel' elements. They lose the case, and retreat into irrelevancy until the next 'big thing' comes along- they never bother to innovate beyond the basics.

RIM had a platform, too. It was extremely stable and popular in the business environment- and (in the case of the Playbook) ran Windows, er, Android applications. But this wasn't enough, and though it was a better system (in the beginning), it faded away.

I'm disregarding the analogues to Linux for now, though webOS (and Nokia's stuff) fits the bill quite nicely- they're even more open than Android can dream to be- and most of their features are being copied for Android considering where those developers went.

And 20 years down the road the cycle repeats. Who will be next or still around to compete?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Comparing iOS to Android as it pertains to smartphone market share is ludicrous. iOS is on what 4 different devices and Android is on several hundred. Take the 4 top selling Android smartphones then compare those to iOS. No contest on a level playing field. iOS wins by a landslide.[/citation]
There really isn't a "winner" in a market, just losers. As long as you have enough sales to justify development then you are not a loser. One platform may appeal to some people more than the other but that is a matter of opinion. iOS is limited to Apple hardware and Android is not.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Apple was losing to Android in the smartphone market even WITH Steve Jobs
When world+dog still thought Steve was healthy and active they were being outsold by several to one already, maybe not with a single juggernaut manufacturer like Samsung but the Android OS as a whole was selling like hotcakes, plus the range of handsets from the various manufacturers in every size, shape, colour, with removable batteries, expandable storage
Stop embodying Steve Jobs with some kind of magical powers, as if he was still around Apple would still be king of the hill
If this the film Dogma then by now Zak Islam would have been branded an idolator and be getting righteously judged by Loki & Bartleby

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why that Zak Islam, nothing but an Apple fanboy. Can he do anything besides write articles where he just gushes over how great Apple is?

Oh, wait....

See, this is the type of article the Zak haters ignore and yet proves he does not come with some pro Apple bias.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]If MS can get their crap together, maybe they won't miss this window of opportunity, and maybe spur some innovation on all fronts. Right now its still the same old price vs popularity contest.[/citation]
I completely agree. I am very much interested in the new Windows Phones. I have had a Droid Bionic for the past year and while it has been ok, I have been less than impressed by Google and even less impressed by how it seems they allow the carries to push them around. I have zero interest in an iPhone, but Apple does it right by telling the carriers if they want to carry the iPhone, then Apple controls the OS and the distribution of it.

Microsoft seems like they are going to possibly take a middle ground. Keep more control and say so over the OS but let it run on multiple phones. The key for Microsoft to have success is to be aggressive in getting development for it, in other words, give incentives for people to write apps, and not to abandon the platform if success isn't immediate. Many people are still on contracts and I myself won't be looking for a phone for a year so they need to be willing to give the platform at least 2 or 3 years to see if it can be successful.

Apple is losing only because [most] people do not like the constraints of an enclosed ecosystem. That's it.
They had the lead when they were the only game in town, but now... not so much. More and more people have realized they are being told what and how to use/like, and that type of authoritarian mentality can not fly for too long when other options are around.
Microsoft is trying to emulate this model, and is not gaining any traction so far, because people will not replace a closed system with another one.
With the help of developers Android is slowly becoming the Windows of smartphones, where you can have an OS and put it on whatever hardware you choose. That will be the future model and Google is the only one that gets it so far. Sure, there are always the carriers that don't like that, because they want to force their own crap down customer's throats, but they can not swim against the current for too long.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Window of opportunity. ;)

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It won't be only because of Steve Jobs, but it will also be because of his legacy of being a stubborn ack and keeping Apple crap closed system...This nearly killed apple back in the 90's, it can and will happen again... Just because it got lucky and found a gadget niche means nothing if they can't get on the open and dynamic bandwagon.[/citation]

I thought the same thing, but I don't think anyone gives a crap if apple offers everything they need. Not everyone likes customizing stuff and loading roms. I love trying custom roms on my SGSIII, but it's not for everyone.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Apple will lose because they only sell a premium product. Most of the world cannot afford an iPhone, and apple can't afford to undercut itself with a lower-priced product.

I think the smartphone market will look much like the PC market did. Apple will have a secure but small slice of the market. They will have to be content with that and just find yet more ways to milk revenue out of that market segment. Maybe they can sell more lifestyle products and get into the fashion industry. lol.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Why that Zak Islam, nothing but an Apple fanboy. Can he do anything besides write articles where he just gushes over how great Apple is?Oh, wait....See, this is the type of article the Zak haters ignore and yet proves he does not come with some pro Apple bias.[/citation]

Well, what can we say. Haters are stupidly retarded. Always find the bad side of people, but ignore the good side of them. Way to go haters.

G

Haha, why listen to elon musk owner of a car company that loses money. He should worry more about his cars because electric cars are NOT the answer to the internal combustion engine. Hey elon, go borrow some more money for your money losing company lol.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I have to agree on this. To Steve Jobs, products come first; making money later. But Tim Cook, making money first, product is secondary. Just look at iPad 3 and 4 and iPhone 4S and 5. Tim thinks just add a minor upgrade to any devices, and Apple can make money. He is fooling his loyal customers, sad!

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Correction; Sheep.
And the saddest part is that it's working.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]did you forget to read the article about Samsung S3 outselling Apple most selling phone, iPhone 4s?[/citation]

partly true. It outsold the 4S in the month or so leading up to the iPhone 5, which is understandable, because the iPhone 5 had been announced, so much fewer people would buy a 4S and wait for the 5 instead.

Look at the profits in the smartphone industry. Apple still holds around 50% of the profits (because their phone's are so premium priced)

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]I have to agree on this. To Steve Jobs, products come first; making money later. But Tim Cook, making money first, product is secondary. Just look at iPad 3 and 4 and iPhone 4S and 5. Tim thinks just add a minor upgrade to any devices, and Apple can make money. He is fooling his loyal customers, sad![/citation]

The iPhone 4S was released when Steve Jobs was still alive. (Barely, Steve died the next day I think :p) and the iPad 3 was a huge jump (although obvious) because it was the first tablet with a high dpi display.

Apple is to focused on their hardware these days. iOS hasn't seen really any overall in UI since it's inception. It works fine I guess, but Android has evolved so quickly and does so much more then iOS, and does it faster.

iOS is what's killing apple, not their mediocre software updates. I really don't care at all about what's in my phone as long as it's fast enough, has good battery, and a decent screen. Whether its 2, 4, or 8 cores doesn't matter, as long as it "feels" fast.

A phone's OS is the only distinguishing factor when your comparing the premium phones. Speed wise the GS3, iPhone 5, and whatever else is out there are all pretty close. But Jelly Bean vs iOS vs WP8 vs BB10 makes a massive difference.

Apple has a slight advantage with its content library and apps, but android has the edge in the UI department.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
This was already happening before Steve Jobs health declined. Android went from 5% market share to 25% market share while Mr. Jobs was still in charge, making decisions and visibly in charge of the company.

What we are seeing with Tim Cook is just a continuation of the direction Google was already going. It's just a simple factor economics.

1. There are more companies making phones with Android, thus more competition which leads to lower prices.

2. Android phones in general are heavily subsidized by the mobile providers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc) and as such they have always been less expensive than Apple products.

So with those two points, consider the good old economic fact ... Lower Price = Greater Sales, now consider that the market is in transition. Apple had a head start, but it was early in the smartphone markets life, only 40-50 million people had smartphones at that point. The remainder of the 150 million phone in the US that were going to switch from old phones to smartphones did so when Apple had to compete against the less expensive phones. So as the smartphone market grew, Android took the greater number of sales thus Android's market share increased with the market and Apples started to shrink. The other factor in this is that Apple sells 70% to repeat customers, that means that only 30% of their sales are to new customers. So when you hear about the iPhone 5 selling 5 million units, only 1.5 million of those were to new converting customers or customers leaving other smartphone options. The other 3.5 million were people trading out an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 for the 5. Consistent customers are not a bad thing (companies kill for this), but it shows that the price point of Apples products are scaring off the new customers.

Case in point iPad Mini $320, Amazon Fire HD $200, Galaxy Nexus 7 $200. So when a parent is looking to buy that Christmas gift, what do you think they would rather shell out $200 or $320 when they get close to the same product.

Apple needs to look at history, this is the same thing that happened in the 80's-90's. They had one of the largest market shares for personal computers in the 80's at about 15%, the other 85% was carved up into little chunks by 10 to 20 companies so very few were as big as Apple. From 1985 to 1995 they went from 15% to 3%, and x86 PC's (running dos/windows) went from 5% to 95% of the market. PC's had multiple manufacturers (IBM, Wang, DEC, Compaq, HP, Packard Bell, etc) w/ a common operating system (dos/windows) = higher competition, lower prices.

The smartest move that Apple could do right now is open up their OS's to run on other manufacturers hardware. They have a strong footing in the market, they have 100 billion dollars, their current method of selling strictly high priced hardware/software is not a long term strategy. They should open it up so that other hardware manufacturers can build machines that run Mac OSX, or phones that run iOS. At the end of the day Apple could make money on licensing the OS's, and all of those new customers would drive more traffic to iTunes (this is the real cha-ching).

G

Lol (it seems the M-sheep are a jumpy lot.. there is I-sheep as well.. funny bunch of people).

Now to my point.
All tech company's will converge in many ways until new innovation is produced.
Jobbs one skill was to find new products before anybody else. A rare skill that any company's CEO Must have, but not many in realty have.
Currently Apple has leading products, but if the current CEO cannot find that niche or new product/enhancement. Then Apple will be pulled back to the pack where they are all competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.