Dudekman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I am looking at bestbuy and this computer strikes me for one I would like to try and overclock. It has a Pentium D 805 in it which from Tomshardware is one of the best cpus to overclock. I am wonder if i can overclock it with the motherboard that is in the system or if it limits you to what you can change. I am 14 years old and my parents do not know much about computers. I know quite a bit but I do not feel safe trying to build a computer from scratch. I want to buy a system that i know will work for sure but i want to overclock it. The way i look at it is this sytem is like a Working Barebones that i want to overclock and upgrade.

Could I overclock it stock how it comes from bestbuy (i understand i have to add fans and such) or would i have to change the motherboard. and if so how hard is that to do?

Thank you very much.
Hassan

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Read the many guides written by Thomas Soderstrom regarding PC building recently here at Toms. If that doesnt give you the confidence enough, nothing will...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The 805 is very overclockable, but I wouldn't count on the motherboard in that e-machines to let you overclock. You might be able to do it with software such as ClockGen or some other program but again, you're not guaranteed success. They don't really give you much on the technical specs on that rig so it's difficult to know for sure if you could upgrade the motherboard or not.

The key to overclocking is getting a motherboard that allows it. I have one of these 805's on a crummy little ECS motherboard and I have it up to 3.5 GHz. so it can be done!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
A better candidate would be the Emachines that comes with the Celeron D 352. It would be no sweat to overclock it to 4.8GHz on the factory Emachines mobo. A simple "pin" mod is all it would take. I've thought of doing this myself, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't need another computer.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
You will most likely need to get a better power supply.
Any P4 based processor requires killer amounts of power, and i've seen more Emachine psu's go out than any other brand.

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I have a T4010 right now, and I have to say that the motherboard has no overclocking options. :( Maybe the newer eMachines ones do, but I can't tell you one way or the other. I would try one of those software ones, but I don't trust them enough to use them just yet. Once I get a second computer, then I'll try out ClockGen or something and see how it goes.

I agree that if you do overclock, think about getting a better PSU (unless it's a minor overclock) because these previous-gen processors are real power hogs. :wink:

Dudekman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
The Celeron D 352 would that be ok for gaming if it was overclocked to 4.8GHZ. It seems like a older cpu. When i say ok for gaming it means running the latest games in the lowest settings possible and running smooth i dont care about the best graphics.

Im thinking ill get the Pentium D 805 becuase even if i cant overclock it on the current MOBO cant I take the processor and add it to a differnt mobo later. You can change to mobo on a system like that right and leave everything else intacted? if so i will probley do that. Just change the mobo on the T5212 and change it to a Mobo that is said to work in the Tomshardware article is that possible?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
That's like asking if an FX-57 is good enough to play games. A Cedermill Celeron at 4.8GHz would be more than enough not to bottleneck your gaming. From the limited benchmarks I've seen, at 4.8GHz it would be more or less equivalent to a 4.3GHz Cedermill Pentium 4 in games. In a worst case scenerio, where the game your playing is multithreaded, you would still need a Pentium D of AT LEAST 3GHz to get equivalent performance. That is assuming the application has optimal multithreading, and not the subpar multithreading you see in Call of Duty 2.

G

The Intel Website has a bios for the Emachine board model.....I flashed it with the Intel Bios version and it unlocked a few settings, this is the URL...http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2367&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21.