Question enabled XMP and computer doesn't turn on

srcordeiro

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hello,

All of a sudden today, my PC got a message on startup saying "The PCIEX16" link speed has been modified to Gen3".
I switched that setting to "auto" and it started up normally.

But I noticed right on the main BIOS screen that XMP was disabled, checked online and it looked like it was safe to enable it and I would even possibly get better performance, so I did it and got this screen:

K8Q3Nar.jpg

I clicked OK and my PC shut down... And it won't turn on again, I press the power button and nothing happens! So I can't even turn XMP back off again!

What the hell happened?!
What can I do for it to power on again and change the XMP on bios?

My PC:

Intel Core I7-12700F 12 Cores 2.1GHz
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z690M-PLUS D4
RAM Kingston 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz FURY Beast Black
Cooler Master V750 Gold V2 80 Plus
RTX 3070
SSD M.2 Kingston SSD M.2 2280 NV1 1TB PCIe NVMe
SSD Samsung 1TB
HDD 2TB
HDD 4TB
HDD 3 TB

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried clearing the CMOS to see if the system revives? Clearing the CMOS should clear any settings to defaults. Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then replace the battery after 30 minutes.

Reactions: srcordeiro

srcordeiro

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Have you tried clearing the CMOS to see if the system revives? Clearing the CMOS should clear any settings to defaults. Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds then replace the battery after 30 minutes.
Thanks for the reply.

I went to work with the Laptop and from time to time I tried pressing the power button of the desktop PC. After a while it turned on and I quickly entered the BIOS to revert the XMP setting, so it works fine now.

Still trying to figure out what happened, noticed that on Windows, the Task Manager says my RAM is working just at 2400 MHz... even if it's 3200 MHz. Maybe it's a motherboard limitation?

Reactions: Why_Me
Task Manager says my RAM is working just at 2400 MHz... even if it's 3200 MHz. Maybe it's a motherboard limitation?
The slower speed is because you turned off XMP. You have to realize that 3200 MHz RAM is faster than what DDR4 was designed for, and the only way to run at these "overclocked" speeds is by using an extreme memory profile (XMP) setting. Now, either your BIOS can't handle this speed and needs an update, or the RAM itself is at fault. I would start by flashing the BIOS to an up to date version and trying XMP again.