[SOLVED] Enabling TPM 2.0 in Bios

R3kki

Commendable
Jul 29, 2021
Hello, Windows 11 released today.
I am wondering where can I enable TPM 2.0. in Bios with gigabyte z370 h3 motherboard. I have newest version on Bios installed. I didn't find anything in Bios, that will enable TPM 2.0.
Thank you for any advice.

Solution
Let's clear up the confusion. A PC needs TPM in three places. 1: CPU, 2:Motherboard module, and 3: the Bios. So, what are the possible configs. The CPU has TPM, so no Motherboard TPM is needed. The Motherboard has TPM either built in or an added chip plugged in so, no CPU TPM is needed. OK, which of these is true?
you only need one physical TPM, most CPUs have it built in, if its not there, then you need to plug it into TPM mainboard slot (but those are all EOL coz CPUs already has them, so not really point to make them)
once you have your physical TPM, then you can enable it in bios, secure boot is not needed for TPM
TPM combined with usb keys can effectively lock your system from unatorized access
secure boot enhances...
Thank you, I have it enabled and tried install windows 11. It says that does not reach requirements. How do I check if TPM 2 is enabled?

Anyway my specs are 16gb ram, i7-9700k, rtx 2060 super
win + R and type in tpm.msc, then press enter
that window would tell you TPM status
meFd16Y.png

Reactions: ern88

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
I managed to do mine fine. However trying to upgrade my Parents PC and I cannot seem to find TPM 2.0,

My parent's computer is using a Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard. Not sure if it's to old or something. Any help, Sorry I don't want to create another thread as I imagine it will be filled with these in the next few days.

Upon looking, I went into PowerShell (Run as admin) and type "get-tpm" and my parents computer everything comeback false. So I'm guessing they do not have TPM 2.0

Last edited:
Reactions: ern88

bmaz121

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Let's clear up the confusion. A PC needs TPM in three places. 1: CPU, 2:Motherboard module, and 3: the Bios. So, what are the possible configs. The CPU has TPM, so no Motherboard TPM is needed. The Motherboard has TPM either built in or an added chip plugged in so, no CPU TPM is needed. OK, which of these is true?

you only need one physical TPM, most CPUs have it built in, if its not there, then you need to plug it into TPM mainboard slot (but those are all EOL coz CPUs already has them, so not really point to make them)
once you have your physical TPM, then you can enable it in bios, secure boot is not needed for TPM
TPM combined with usb keys can effectively lock your system from unatorized access
secure boot enhances that to lock boot
you will still need bios supervisor password, or all those security stuffs are pointless

Solution

Endre

Reputable
Yep, I have that. But still in the installation assistant it says that this computer does not meet the requirements.

For your PC to be Win11 compatible, you need more than just TPM 2.0.
You also need the following:
  1. UEFI BIOS.
  2. Secure boot enabled.
  3. GPT partitions (instead of MBR).
  4. DirectX 12 compatible video card.
  5. 4GB RAM.
  6. 64GB storage.
    7. 8th Gen Intel CPU (or newer).

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
sorry to hijack this thread but when i did a windows update, my pc said that its not ready for windows 11 or something like that. but when i updated my bios, it automatically enabled my tpm which i didnt ant it to if its like windows 10 when they installed it without my permission.

sorry to hijack this thread but when i did a windows update, my pc said that its not ready for windows 11 or something like that. but when i updated my bios, it automatically enabled my tpm which i didnt ant it to if its like windows 10 when they installed it without my permission.
win11 wont install on its own, it acts as cumulative update (21H2), so it will be there untill you manualy update it
people still runnin older win10 builds...for now micro$oft doesnt enforce win11

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
For your PC to be Win11 compatible, you need more than just TPM 2.0.
You also need the following:
  1. UEFI BIOS.
  2. Secure boot enabled.
  3. GPT partitions (instead of MBR).
  4. DirectX 12 compatible video card.
  5. 4GB RAM.
  6. 64GB storage.
    7. 8th Gen Intel CPU (or newer).

2. Secure boot CAPABLE...

...is the actual requirement. Nothing in the Win 11 requirement says it has to actually be enabled.

thats nothing new...microsoft forced bios updates dated around 2018 to have SVM (virtualisation) enabled as default bios option (windows security rule since win 1809)
bios settings enabled by default, which are required for never OS helps new people avoiding touching bios settings, which can mess up whole system if you do it wrong
TPM itself does nothing...just swap CPU and all security gone

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
Good luck with that!

You can’t enable Intel PTT (TPM 2.0) unless you first fisable CSM and enable Secure Boot.

Win11 can run without TPM 2.0, but you might not receive updates.
PTT is enabled in my BIOS, and CSM is disabled. Secure boot is not enabled, but the option is there for it. According to Win 11 requirements, that all you need.

tpm can be enabled with legay bios (CSM), but windows (8 up to 10) will just say that tpm is running with limited functions
windows 8 had tpm requirement for OEMs...so it worked in hybrid mode (back in win8 era uefi wasnt common...too many legacy hardwares), win10 can work with tpm and csm aswell