Question Encountering severe issues with Kingston NV2, getting weird warning in Event Viewer ?

Dalamix

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I've been playing a lot of ARK: Survival Evolved recently and am now encountering issues with the my Kingston NV2 where I have it installed. I find that when playing games like TEKKEN 8 or BeamNG.drive, they load perfectly fine and work flawlessly, but when trying to play ARK, it may take a whole 6 minutes from the music of the game loading to the actual main menu showing up. While in-game, I often am met with freezes that waste ~8 seconds of my time each, and that occur more and more when I move further in the map. For some reason, I've found that it also worsens when I set the gamma setting higher than the normal setting through the in-game console, which bugs me. One more thing to note is that I also host the dedicated ARK server on my PC, though on a Kingston A2000.

So, today I wanted to play some ARK, despite the lag and issues, hoping to have a decent time. This time, however, the ARK music loaded but no main menu popped up, and I was just there waiting. The server ran flawlessly and my friend could play on it, but my ARK client didn't work. So, I figured that I should try to get rid of potential issues outside of the actual SSD itself, in hopes of it fixing the problem. I began cleaning up a bunch on my Kingston A2000 C: drive to simply make space for more virtual memory, then I closed background applications like Riot Vanguard, MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner in case those maybe fueled the issue. It didn't help though.

So I went into the file explorer and to my surprise, the E: drive(Kingston NV2) doesn't show the amount of storage it has or what's taken up. I try to enter it, and I see all the main folders, but when I start trying to navigate through them, the file explorer suddenly just hangs. From here, I opened the Kingston SSD Manager program, thinking it would give me some details about what was going on with the drive, but the program hung. After a while, I could then select the second SSD listed, namely the NV2, but that just led to the program hanging AGAIN. Around 5 minutes later, it started working again, but there was no information about the SSD, the page was blank and all visible was just the SSD model name. I tried to enter the different tabs of information, but they just led to the program hanging once again.

I chose to install the firmware update available for the main drive(A2000), not quite sure what it would help me. I didn't restart the PC until later, though. I also checked the Windows task manager, but it hung on me as I expected and I didn't get a good look at it. In the end, the program served to be quite useless, so I told my friend to get off the server so I could restart the computer and experiment with it a bit. However, when I went into the advanced startup options for Windows and selected "Startup Repair", the computer just went black. I waited a very long while, hoping something would happen, but nothing did. I figured it was best to just restart the PC via the power button, so I did so. Except, now when it got to the swirly loading screen with the Windows logo, it just kept on loading. And loading.

I got bored again and manually turned off the PC via the power button, waited a bit, then turned it back on. Now, I actually loaded into Windows. I didn't start Steam yet hoping that it would take any possible load off of my NV2 drive, and I went into the File Explorer to just look around. I went into the properties of the drive and found a tool that in Swedish is called "Felkontroll", which I'm sure translates to something like "Troubleshoot". It described a purpose of checking for faults in the file system, which sounded appropriate for the situation, so I decided to do it. Now, it's been running for a few hours, and is stuck at around 50% saying there's about 1 hour and 50 minutes left, except the progress bar hasn't changed at all in the last few hours and the estimated time left has just been increasing.

So I wondered if this meant the NV2 drive had frozen again, and I opened up the file explorer to test this theory. I navigated just so I could see the main folders, but when I tried to navigate inside one of these, file explorer hung for a good while. I got the idea of checking out the Windows Event Viewer, and as expected, something's up. I keep getting a warning saying "Återställning till enheten \Device\RaidPort4 utfärdades.", which kind of means "Reset of device \Device\RaidPort4 was executed.". I searched this message up and someone else seems to have had a similar problem, although with RaidPort0. They say they think they just got a new drive, though, which I'm not sure if I should be doing because this all might just be a software issue. I'll list my specs below.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Max
SSD 1(main drive, has windows and ark server): Kingston A2000 500GB
SSD 2(tertiary drive, has a bunch of games and recordings): Kingston NV2 2TB
HDD 1(has a few games and recordings, I don't use it much now though): Seagate BarraCuda 3.5'' HDD 2TB
RAM(two mixed but same timings and speeds and both are Kingston): Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz 4x8GB CL17
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB DUAL OC EVO

Windows 10 Pro Version: 22H2 or 19045.4046
Game Ready Driver: 551.23

EDIT 1: Now I can see that the NV2 disk is at a constant 100% usage in Task Manager. Going into CrystalDiskInfo 8.12.12, it literally says "KINGSTON SNV2S2000G Unknown" and there is no information about Interface, Transfer Mode, Standard, Total Reads/Writes, Temperature, Power On Hours, basically all the useful information. There is no information in the large box below either.

Last edited: