Enter SETUP to recover BIOS setting

gabemckee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I have a custom build that has worked fine for almost 10 months, then I started it up a few days ago, and every time I boot the computer this message appears:

Please enter SETUP to recover BIOS setting

Press F1 to run SETUP

Press F2 to load default values and continue

By pressing F2, I can boot to Windows normally; however, the PCIE slot is not detected, and so my 24 inch screen is reduced from 1980x1200 to 1280x1024. Apart from that, the machine runs as well as usual.

My motherbord is an Asus am2+ m2n68-am se2.

Some preliminary googling suggests that it has something to do with a chip in the motherboard that I'd have to rpelace? Can anyone give me some advice on this matter? I'm just about ready to bring it in to a shop, but I'd like to know whether I can fix this myself or not.

Solution
There is usually a jumper setting that allows you to clear the CMOS without having to pull the battery out, check the motherboard manual. This is a preferred method.

If there is a problem with the code flashed to the BIOS simply clearing it may not do the trick. Go to the Asus site and download the latest flash and BIOS file for your motherboard. Clearing the BIOS simply resets it to all facatory default settings. If that doesn't work then updating the BIOS itself may resolve the issue.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
There is usually a jumper setting that allows you to clear the CMOS without having to pull the battery out, check the motherboard manual. This is a preferred method.

If there is a problem with the code flashed to the BIOS simply clearing it may not do the trick. Go to the Asus site and download the latest flash and BIOS file for your motherboard. Clearing the BIOS simply resets it to all facatory default settings. If that doesn't work then updating the BIOS itself may resolve the issue.

Solution

gabemckee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, neither worked.

I tried wiping CMOS through the jumper. When that didn't work, I removed the battery, used the jumper to wipe CMOS, and then reinstalled the battery. Once I booted up it told me to reset the CMOS date/time, which I did. But I'm still getting the same message as before.

I'm going to try to update the BIOS; maybe the data is corrupted. I can't set my HDD as the priority for the boot sequence, for some reason.

Oh, and another thing that is odd: I cannot put my computer in hibernation or sleep mode. Odd.

gabemckee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure I did, but I'll try again.

My computer has detected a problem with the PCI-to-PCI bridge. It says:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Is that somehow related to my BIOS troubles?

gabemckee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for the link, Ghislain. It seems that a probable source of that problem is the BIOS... so I'll definitely go flash it again. Thanks for the help.

gabemckee

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Okay, I just updated the BIOS with ASUSupdate (no need to fiddle around with USB keys and such), and it's now booting normally without going through that screen. Thaks for all the help.

Once last thing, if I may: my Vcard seems to be working normally, but the Nvdia gadget claims that the PCIE bus is still operating at 0x, and it doesn't display the temperature. Any ideas on that one?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Glad to see the flash fixed it up.
Hmmm, not sure about that one other than to suggest that you check into the BOIS settings for the Video card. Maybe updating or re-installing the NVidia drivers would resolve it.

Good luck.

Baconader

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I am having a similar problem. I have the Z97-A Asus motherboard. I updated the BIOS because I could not get my Afterglow Xbox 360 controllers to be recognized and I had tried every thing else. I flashed to the latest version, now I get that setup message during boot and after I get out of BIOS, it blue screens shortly after the windows splash screen comes on. I tried flashing it to the second most recent, same issue. Why would they release a BIOS that breaks my machine. I can't think of what else to try, I reset the cmos jumpers that did not help. I have not tried pulling the battery yet. I guess I'll just keep trying alternative BIOS versions but let me know if you have other ideas guys. Thanks.