Question Entire bookmarks folder mistakenly deleted

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
When I originally installed Chrome on my home PC, I imported all my bookmarks from Firefox. Part of this process, apparently, created a "imported from Firefox" shortcut on my bookmarks bar. Since I already had another shortcut extension to show my bookmarks manager, I brazenly decided to delete the bookmarks bar shortcut. Now all my bookmarks are gone except those on the bookmarks bar! I've tried the suggested method of resto
ring these deleted bookmarks, but there is no bookmarks.bak file where it should be. Isn't there some way to retrieve these bookmarks via download form my Google account? I don't have any other devices, just my single home PC, so I'm assuming that using Sync isn't an option. Does a Google "cloud" backup exist? I'm really sweating here...

If the bookmarks were synced to your Google account, when you logon to your account they would pop in. Without backups or the original bookmarks your only option is to run a scan to get a copy of the bookmarks file back with a file restore program like Recuva. Issue is that you did not actually delete the bookmark file, you modified it, so the chance of getting those back is not very good.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
When I originally installed Chrome on my home PC, I imported all my bookmarks from Firefox. Part of this process, apparently, created a "imported from Firefox" shortcut on my bookmarks bar. Since I already had another shortcut extension to show my bookmarks manager, I brazenly decided to delete the bookmarks bar shortcut. Now all my bookmarks are gone except those on the bookmarks bar! I've tried the suggested method of resto
ring these deleted bookmarks, but there is no bookmarks.bak file where it should be. Isn't there some way to retrieve these bookmarks via download form my Google account? I don't have any other devices, just my single home PC, so I'm assuming that using Sync isn't an option. Does a Google "cloud" backup exist? I'm really sweating here...
If the bookmarks were synced to your Google account, when you logon to your account they would pop in. Without backups or the original bookmarks your only option is to run a scan to get a copy of the bookmarks file back with a file restore program like Recuva. Issue is that you did not actually delete the bookmark file, you modified it, so the chance of getting those back is not very good.
Thanks for your comment, Hang-the-9, but I was not synced and Recuva wasn't able to retrieve my lost file. Another forum reader made a comment that led to an Exported Chromel bookmarks list that I had done (and forgotten about). Using the Chrome Import function I was able to get my bookmarks back. Fortunately, it was a relatively recent copy so with a little refreshing, I'll be good to go again. Whew!

Thanks for your comment, Hang-the-9, but I was not synced and Recuva wasn't able to retrieve my lost file. Another forum reader made a comment that led to an Exported Chromel bookmarks list that I had done (and forgotten about). Using the Chrome Import function I was able to get my bookmarks back. Fortunately, it was a relatively recent copy so with a little refreshing, I'll be good to go again. Whew!

Well that export is same as doing a backup so you had a backup to get the file from. Always a good idea to do backups, not just of bookmarks but all your files. 95% of issues people have won't be issues if there were backups done.